Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
25-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Food bowls with lids

Hello,
As we have one cat who is diabetic we have to be careful that she only gets the food meant for her. As we have two other cats this can get tricky (particularly as one insists on eating in the bathroom away from the others). We tend to pick up bowls when they wander off and cover them, putting them down later when the cat comes back to it. They have been too used to grazing over the years to actually eat a sachet in one go!
I have been trying to find feeding bowls with lids as we are using saucers to cover the bowls at the moment. As summer is coming I'd rather we could properly cover the bowls. I've tried various websites and looked at Tupperware but haven't found anything that would work yet. Has anyone got any ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

Re: Food bowls with lids

What are the cat bowls made of, CS? If it's ceramic, cling film will stick well, if plastic then that doesn't work so well.

Catsey Veteran

25-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
What are the cat bowls made of, CS? If it's ceramic, cling film will stick well, if plastic then that doesn't work so well.
We've got a mix Angie but most are plastic- I'd rather have lids if I can find them as cling film can get fiddly and sometimes we need to move fast!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
25-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Have you tried using the elasticised thick plastic food covers? I buy a box of 10 in the small size from our local $2 shop and they fit on nicely. They can be washed out easily and reused and then chucked out when the elastic loses its tightness.Also, baby bowls often have tight fitting plastic press on lids. Perhaps check one of those out. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

25-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Dinky you are a genius- baby's bowls look great, I hadn't thought of them!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
25-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

I have the same problem with my cats as all 5 eat different things and their food is down all the time. I usually only feed a little at a time in the summer and keep Fecto's tin in the fridge. I did think of pan lids as covers for you CS as they are quickly removed but baby bowls are a much better idea. I will also give this a try in the warmer weather Luckily, all of them, except Fecto, eat dried food so there is always something available but I hate the way wet food goes off so quick when its warm.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
25-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

Oh yes, CS, The Big Foozy likes to eat in the bathroom windowsill, away from the others. Also I think clingfilm has carcinogens in it, so although I use it to cover my foodI wouldn't use it to cover my animals' food, mad I know!

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

I'd never have thought about babies bowls! Probably not having had kids, it wouldn't have dawned on me. Good idea though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #9

If you order a chinese meal the food often comes in clear plastic rectangular boxes. I wash all these & keep as spare boxes for the animals. Harveys dry food ration gets soaked in one. Would one of these very inexpensive boxes do?

Catsey Veteran

29-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #10

I use those very same boxes to store my various paints!