Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggy Toms and a Princess
16-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Best way to make introductions

Hi, I am after advice on the best way to introduce new kittens to existing adult cats.

I am getting two kittens in a few weeks and want to make their homecoming a stress free as possible
I have a cage that I plan to keep the kittens in, in a separate room and supervise all meetings for the first few weeks - but can you let me know how long it normally takes for all to settle into one happy family?

I have two neutered toms (Max and Oli) who are very friendly to humans - but I think the two kittens will be a diferent matter

All advice welcome.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

Re: Best way to make introductions

Cannt put a time on it tbh, it takes as long as it takes for all cats to feel comfortable around eachother.
The best advice I can give you is not to rush them.
Plenty of scent swapping, feed existing cats at a comfortable distance and gradually move the feeding bowls closer and closer to the kittens, should either the kittens or the cats refuse to eat then you have gone to close too soon, move back a step.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

I would advise a Feliway diffuser as well. Never held much for that sort of thing before however we have noticed a difference in the two days we have had one in our two adult cats towards our kitten. I think you are wise getting two kittens as they will keep each other company

Our kitten is crated at night - during the day we are about and can supervise however we need to ensure she is safe at night

We have had our kitten 11 days and today our 12 months old female was initiating play [but this only came about from the Feliway diffuser was plugged in] touching noses with the kitten. At one stage they were lying about 6" apart on their sides/backs which was a break through - under close supervision I might add. The kitten was wary as she has had so many hisses and she is absolute poppet - hopefully things will start to get better from now on

Our boy has the attitude of "shove off kid" - he will be slower to win round

My advice - get yourself a Feliway diffuser and have it in operation "before" your kittens arrive

Look forward to seeing photos

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggy Toms and a Princess
17-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Thank you very much for your advice. Max and Oli (the adults) at two different characters, so I will expect they will react in different ways, so I'll be prepared for it.

I'll put the pictures up when they arrive, they are next door with their Mum at the moment, so we pop round to check on progress every now and then - can't wait, but know it will be hard work - kitten proofing the house again

Thanks again

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
20-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

I kind of wish I had got two so the little newbies would keep each other occupied. My adult cat does not want the kitten anywhere near him, he's getting very hissy again and I think that's cos Lester is starting to reach sexual maturity now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinef2
I kind of wish I had got two so the little newbies would keep each other occupied. My adult cat does not want the kitten anywhere near him, he's getting very hissy again and I think that's cos Lester is starting to reach sexual maturity now.
Get Feliway diffuser - cant recommend them highly enough. They really do work