Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
30-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

Naughty Teenager

So Kaos has discovered over the past few days that he has become a teenager and is being just as naughty with it

He has recently found that he can now jump up on the kitchen side, something which I have never allowed any of my cats to do. I was re-heating some food last night and had 2 plates of it, so one went in the microwave, one went on the kitchen side (I know it's my fault for leaving it there knowing what he's discovered he can do), went out of the room for 2 minutes, and when I came back Kaos was quite happily chomping away on the plate of pasta bake ... goodbye dinner! With all of my other cats a quick clap of the hands or a squirt with a water bottle has been enough to discourage them, but he just looks at me as if to say "yeah....and what?!" I'm out of ideas to stop him doing it now I don't have a door on my kitchen so I can't keep him out annoyingly.

He's also trying to steal the dogs food since I've changed her onto another diet (she's not well at the moment and I'm struggling to get her to eat) and will actually squeeze in front of her to get to it. So now Kaos has to be removed from the room at doggy dinner time

And as of last night he has discovered that he can now jump up onto my chest of drawers, and then onto the hamster cage. So last night I put loads of stuff on the top of the drawers so he couldn't get up on them. Just drifting off to sleep and I heard a massive crash and the hamster started screaming. Turned my light on to find Kaos hanging off the side of the hamster cage!! Very proud of himself he was too, and so now Kaos is also banished from the bedroom unsupervised.

I know he's not purposely being naughty and it's just part of being a kitten. But this combined with a new job and a very sick doggy is stressing mummy out to the max I guess I just have to grin and bear it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
01-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Re: Naughty Teenager

Kaos seems to be living up to his name at the moment !!

Sounds like he knows mummy is distracted and is playing up for attention. Kittens will be kittens! BTW,How old is a teenage cat in human years?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

join the club! Marmaduke is now just over 8 months and is a terror! in to everything on everything chasing everything, breaking loads of stuff, just a general bull in a china shop. He spends quite a bit of time shut away in the downstairs cloakroom for being bad (he loves sleeping in the sink) and is quite wet most of the time from being sprayed with water (mostly for trying to sexually assault poor old Chloe!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

I gave up trying to keep Amber off the worktops - Tim wass no problem but Amber does her own thing!! Chaos sounds a bit like Amber

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #5

my 2 have discovered they can get up on teh work tops aswell now, harris usually gets down hen told but skye just looks at you at times!!! i think my 2 are hopefully getting past that stage but they are still naughty at times!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
03-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #6

Cloud has a bit of the teenagers too... She's not been on my kitchen work surfaces thank goodness - they're normally too cluttered, and I keep her in my room/the living room when am out, so her chances are pretty slim - and there are far better other rooms to play in when I'm in the house!!!

However, she does a great line in moaning at me if she wants something and am not quick enough - be it during the middle of the night, or mum's in the bath, it's the same sound... regardless of how much time I've spent with her up til that point!

Then there's floor/furniture scratching. Again, if I'm not quick enough to do what she wants, I hear the scratch, scratch, scratch noise. I think I'm starting to get her broken of that now, but... the floor scratching is difficult though, cause on occasion she will kneed the carpet, and that sound is similar - and the last thing I want to do is tell her off for that!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #7

I have also given up on pip with the kitchen worktops, he's up and down there like a yoyo. He gets a row when I catch him but he's sneaky and jumps down and runs away when he hears me coming. He has even been stupid enough to jump on them when were in there making something!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
05-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #8

Marmaduke gets a spray of water if we catch him on the worktops. The only bit he is allowed on is the bit next to the fridge freezer as he likes to sit on top of that and so jumps on the worktop to get there. Today he managed to jump on the worktop and into the sink (after a fly we think) and broke the cut crystal wine glass that was in there. So that's something else he's broke! Also had a massive fight with Chloe this morning which resulted in me chasing him around the house spraying him with water, didn't stop him stalking her again a few minutes later, he doesn't learn!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
06-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #9

Quote:
With all of my other cats a quick clap of the hands or a squirt with a water bottle has been enough to discourage them, but he just looks at me as if to say "yeah....and what?!"
Ah! Yes, I know this look well. It seems teenage cats the same both sides of the pond. Mine is 15 months old, and a hooligan for sure. Nothing deters him from doing what he wants to do. What I can't keep from him, I've just resigned myself to not be too attached to. I no longer have small furries but I shutter to think what would have become of them by now with Ninja in the house.

Good luck. He will probably grow out of it....eventually....