Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby
13-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

My cat won't come inside

Hi everybody,

I am new to the site. Sorry I am coming with the problem.

I have 4 years old neutered gorgeous cat Gerrard. Recently, he refuses to come inside. All his live he's been outdoor/indoor cat. And it worked very well. This spring however, he comes to the gardens, close to the house but don't want to come inside. I can see he is good condition and eating good, I don't know what though. I am really worried he will not come back one day at all. Yesterday I took him in, but this morning he was screaming to go out and me and my hubby gave in and let him out. Is it cruel to make a cat who is been allowed access to outside to make him indoor only cat? My husband thinks once the weather gets bad again, he will be back inside. I am however worried to death to loose him.

Please, help to deside.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #2

Re: My cat won't come inside

Hello & Welcome to Catsey!

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having, there will be others along soon with lots of experience who can advise you.

13-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #3

Thank you, Velvet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

It's only recently that this has started? Could something traumatic have happened to him in the house that neither of you knew about, that has made him reluctant to come inside now? I agree, it would be extraordinarily difficult to bring him in and completely deny him outdoor access now, especially as the weather is turning nice. You might try bringing him indoors overnight with a calming Feliway plug-in; that might help. Are you feeding him outdoors? He is neutered, isn't he?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

Someone else posted about a similar problem, but I can't think who or when ..... was it a friend of CM's???

I would think that something you don't know about has happened to scare him off .... hopefully if you are still putting food out for him, he will keep coming back to your garden even if he won't come indoors. As you say he looks in good condition there is nothing wrong with him. Do you live in an area with a lot of traffic where he may come to harm or a rural location where the temptations of an outdoor life are huge and come with wings and whiskers. Fingers crossed you can tempt him back so that at least he knows where his home is when the weather turns again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #6

I may be wrong here as am reading between the lines but I take it he must be getting fed elsewhere as you said he was in good condition?
I would also have thought that maybe something has happened that frightened him so much that he is worried about getting too close to the door. Any cats in the area that may have bullied him?
Personally I would try eveything and anything to tempt him back, a small bowl of chicken or tuna at the back door, if he is still too scared try putting it in the garden at a distance he feels comfortable with, gradually moving it closer and closer to the house. Go at his pace and dont force him, if you have moved the bowl too close too soon and he doesnt come, go back a step to where he last felt comfortable and start over again. Dont put too much in the bowl, just enough for a little temptation, you dont want to encourage other cats.

13-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

Thank you all very much.

I can't think of anything that could have scared him. But there is always possibility: somebody knocked harder on the doors, laud kids passing by for example. You just never know. When I see him, I do feed him. His favorite is chicken. So I give him it. I do not leave it outside, as I don't want other animals coming to the garden.
I don't know if somebody is feeding him, or is he caching food himself. Definitely eating something.
Yes, he is neutered. Haven't fought of using Feliway. Might give it ago. Can't do any harm

I just want my cat back at home, where he belongs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

Maybe even invest in a cat cabin or some sort of shelter for him to feel at home in.
Sometimes with cats, we have to use our imaginations to try to be more inviting to them if you get what I mean.
I'm pretty sure that with a little time, patience and favourite food reward, you'll win him back round.

13-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #9

Thank you, Elaine. I hope he will be back to his usual self

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
04-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #10

Elaine's right. The liklihood is that your cat is getting fed elsewhere.

It's summer and the garden door is open. I have a neighbour's cat who will sneak in my place and steal my cat's food.