Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
28-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

I think I need some help :(

Over the last few weeks I have been introducing Tiger and Lester, just slowly first swapping scents and to be honest Tiger has been reasonably calm throughout. He has hissed a few times when they have been allowed to smell each other through a slightly opened door. I have taken Lester into the livingroom in a cat carrier at first and only for short periods of time. I then took a crate into the livingroom and have had Lester in that, Tiger has been okish up until now but the last few nights has been really bad. I am so worried Tiger will really hurt him as he's massive compared to Lester. I have been trying to make sure Tiger gets loads of cuddles and lots of me time but the problem I think might be that he sleeps on his bean bag in the livingroom. I'm not sure what to do for the best, should I remove him from the livingroom or could it make things worse? I feel so upset just now about this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: I think I need some help :(

Lots of very experienced folk will be on to help you

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
28-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

2 of mine are always hissing at each other and scrapping. Tiger-Lilly & Gizmo. But then other times they don't even take any notice of of each other.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

When Eva the Diva was with us, it took 6 months to introduce Bernie into the home fully, but Eva was a one off .
It may take more time, dont rush them, sometimes the best we can hope for is acceptance.
If you feel things are are still not quite settled between them, go back a step. Scent swapping, try feeding them together. Not close together, perhaps one in the crate and the other at the other side of the room and gradually bring the food dishes closer together. Any hissing or growling, go back a step towhere they were comfortable eating and start again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

Can you remind me of Tiger and Lester's ages, Pauline? Is Lester still a kitten - as you mention the size difference.

When Pip first arrived aged 9 weeks he was so tiny compared to Kizzy that I crated him at night so that we could sleep knowing that he was safe but he and Kizzy could see and smell each other.

I take it both yours are boys?

Catsey Senior

29-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #6

Hi Angie, yes lester is 17 weeks and tiger is 11 years old. Both boys, lester has the spare bedroom as his safe room, I have a crate in the livingroom which I put lester in now. Tiger is not very happy at all about him being in the livingroom but only over the last few days. Before he'd stare at him very hard and quite often turn his back. Now he's hissing and growling and lifting his paw to bat lester although lester is nowhere near him at this point. Tiger is more than happy to accept a whiskas sensation while lester is around and has been a lot quieter up until now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #7

It may be due to Lester's hormones beginning to come into play and Tiger can smell that and feels threatened. He is a bit young yet for neutering but I know some vets will do the deed at 5 months, so maybe not that far off now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #8

You do also have to consider that you are expecting an old man to be patient and accepting of a playful, active young baby.

Catsey Senior

29-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #9

I know that's why I have been introducing them slowly and have been putting lester in the crate, lester would be all over him if not. I am hoping to get lester neutered at around 5 months, will speak to the vet about that this week. Tiger has been really good with young cats in the past, he would happily share his garden with them. I will just have to take it really slowly at a pace he's comfortable with

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
29-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #10

i introduced a new cat into our house in february. Harris was initially curious and followed the new edition, Skye about but then it started getting worrying as Harris was constantly trying to bite at Skye who is bigger than Harris. What we did was to have them together when we were in the house so we could keep amn eye on them and diffuse any scuffles and seperate them whilst we were out aswell as at bedtime but alternating who was in the room with us. We did this routine for about 2/3weeks and then gradually started leaving them alone together for short periods of time whilst we were out and they seemed fine. Whilst doing this, they were still seperated at night time until we thought we could trust them together at night. Once we started doing that and keeping the door and an ear open we let them together when we were in bed. There were a few hairy moments at the beginning but they started settling down. Nighttime is still the time my 2 play up with each other but its nothing serious.

They will settle in time, i was ready for giving up on having both and was nearly set on returning skye to the foster carer because of the fighting. Thankfully though, i percevered and they can be left at any time on their own and i dont have a worry about them.

Hope this helps.