Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby cat
12-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

moved my older cat in with me and my house rabbit

hey there was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with my current situation, i have a house rabbit who has full roam of the house, and have been given my old cat, she is 12. she has been in the spare room out of the way for 2 days, and have introduced her to my rabbit by holding her on my lap with the rabbi in his cage, but am entirely unsure of how to proceed further, i cant let the cat roam the house because she isnt used to the rabbit yet but feel bad keeping her in the spare room all on her own, today i put the rabbit in the garden and let her wander round the house, shoudl i just continue with this? Also was unsure of when i can let her out, she will be going out the front when she does, there is no road or anything, and she will be completely safe, but dont know when or how i should do this?

any help would be extremely gratefull as i feel i should be doing something about this situation.

thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
14-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #2

Re: moved my older cat in with me and my house rabbit

There will be others along much more experienced than me - however I will give it a shot

If she were mine, I would keep her indoors for a couple of weeks anyway, probably 3 just to see that she settles.

Have you got a crate you could use to put the rabbit into for a couple of hours so that they see each other, the cat can wander around and get used to the rabbit that way and vice versa and both are safe. Slowly extend the time. Depending on how it goes you can then leave the crate door open and see how that fares, slowly extend the time the door is open. Do everything gradually so they get used to each other gradually.

You could feed them treats together so they associate being near to each other with positivity

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #3

I'm completely inexperienced with rabbits, but Velvet's advice sounds very sensible to me. Just as you'd introduce a new cat to the resident cat. Also agree, keep new kitty inside for 3 weeks or so till she's settled. Hope it goes well for both; do let us know what happens! Welcone to the forum, BTW!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

I would never trust my cats with my rabbits 100%. Cats are predators and rabbits are prey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #5

That's what would worry me too. I would never let them together unsupervised.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #6

Do you really think a cat would take on a full grown adult rabbit? I understand they can bite and kick very hard ,,,,,

Catsey Veteran

14-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Do you really think a cat would take on a full grown adult rabbit? I understand they can bite and kick very hard ,,,,,
That was my thought too. A baby rabbit or youngster perhaps. I have a friend with a house rabbit, guineapigs & hamsters & of course a dog & they never bother each other.

Having said that you could err on the side of caution & when out or during the night, separate them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
15-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Yes - my cats have gone for my rabbits many a time... that is why the rabbits are never allowed out of their enclosures unless I am supervising in the garden.

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #9

deleted - double post