Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
10-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

bit jumpy lately

As you know Denis was feral and has always been a jumpy scary cat. He has got a lot better now (after nearly 7 years) but the last couple of days he has been jumpy again, running into things to get away from a noise or if your walking towars him (although I talk to him so he knows its me) and any noise hes up.....nothing has changed, he hasnt been spooked, scared, no changes, nothing different to freak him out I'm wondering what this is all about

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

Re: bit jumpy lately

Difficult to give any ideas BC ....... no new tom cats about in your neighbourhood? I know that's what's spooked Pip. We were in the garden today and saw the culprit and Pip raced indoors very quickly. Could just be the change in the weather ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

I can't guess either; poor Denis. Hope he'll calm down a bit,, so worrying when they act strange and we can't figure out why .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
11-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

Poor Dennis. Hugs from us xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
11-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #5

Have you any idea how old he may be? Sometimes if vision or hearing are compromised the animal will be jumpy until they adjust..it's a stretch, I know, but just checking.

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #6

Thanks everyone.
Tink he is nearly 7 we got him at 8 weeks old. He seems ok in that respect and hes drinking and eating ok.
We have a female in the area who hes always snarling at dont know if theres a new tom but that might be a possibility Angie and yes the heat does upset him, hes out more than usual but pants a lot when its too hot.
We have also ha a change over of horses that live at the bottom of the garen and they have been bucking a bit and making a bit of noise so that could be it or the fact that they are different and he knows it.... I wonder...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
11-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #7

Another long shot but I wonder ear problem? My first dog bacame v nervous and jumpy at noises or new things. She had a problem in her ear which was affecting sounds and her balance.

I do hope you get to the bottom of it. Sounds like a few changes in his environment which a nervous cat will pick up on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #8

Poor Dennis, can't realy add any suggestions but is it normal for a Cat to pant ? I have only seen Tom do it when he was very stressed at the vets.
I used to have a cat born from a feral mum and i have to say she was nervous all her life. She would sit with us for cuddles one day but then sometimes run and hide when she saw us as if she had never seen us before.

Catsey Veteran

11-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #9

Yes Shelley I think he will be nervous all his life.
He only pants when its really hot and he lies in the sun and wont come in

I will be taking him for his needles again soon so he will get a full check up again. Just hate it when hes jumpy cos I think hes settled then he gets all nervous again. Maybe I molly coddle him too much to and hes attention seeking