Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Ginger moggie.
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Hi. Newbie here with a noisy cat problem!

Hi all, apologies if this is a bit long!

I have a crazy cat!! Not just zany or cool or anything slightly endearing just plain bonkers!

Miss Brown is approx 10yrs old ginger and white female cat who I rescued about 7 years ago. She is neutured.

The problem with Miss Brown is that she is very vocal, very very vocal! She just doesn't shut up. She meows for food, frantically, so I feed her. Then she meows while eating. Then when she has finished, if she does finish, she meows a bit more. She meows to go out, to come in and for everything else in between. She also meows just for the hell of it!

It would be ok if it was a dainty noise but it is loud and changes depending on the demand at the time. I did think she needed more fuss but after 10 secs of fuss she attacks you. Not just a scratch but really attacks!

She is driving us all to distraction! My husband is keen to rehome her but I hate to think what would happen to her if we did, but after 7 years I am going mad!!

Can cats actually have mental health issues?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #2

Re: Hi. Newbie here with a noisy cat problem!

I suspect cats can have mental health issues .... certainly they can suffer from a form of dementia, but Miss Brown sounds a bit young for that.

Could you ask your vet to recommend an animal behaviourist? It sounds as if she's got used to her demands being met!

02-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I suspect cats can have mental health issues .... certainly they can suffer from a form of dementia, but Miss Brown sounds a bit young for that.

Could you ask your vet to recommend an animal behaviourist? It sounds as if she's got used to her demands being met!
It certainly sounds like you are on to something by saying that her demands are being met!

With reference to the behaviourist, my husband would not be happy with the idea of me paying for that. He is primarily a dog man and would insist I rehomed her rather than spend money on her. I think I need to be firm with her to start with!
Thank you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #4

My cat is a very noisy vocal cat and has only changed slightly in the 7 years we have had him either. My OH used to be driven mad by him but I have told him not to give in to his demands. He will sit or stand in front of you and cry constantly til he gets what he wants or go round knocking things of table etc to get attention, but now we chase him away (not nastily) or shut the door on him, sometimes it kills me as he is my baby but I think my molly-coddling cause the problem in the first place.
As for mental health problems mine definetly has!! he may have been feral and a bit scatty but he is clearly mad sometimes. He proper bites too ..... actually come to think of it Are you sure you dont have my cat??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Hi Jofelicia - sorry that your OH feels like that but I think at least to start with you could be firm with her, like babycakes above describes. Sounds as if your two cats do have a lot in common. Good luck, I think it will be hard going certainly to start with.

02-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #6

Baby cakes- maybe our cats are related!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
02-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

I think you're right...Denis is adopted after all but dont tell him he doesnt know