Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
24-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

What is she saying when...

OK, I'm pretty well still a complete novice when it comes to cat body language and the like - though I guess it would be true to say that I have learned some stuff over the past months!

So. I'm guessing this is a place where I'll likely come and ask any questions I've got in relation to what my wee girl might be saying to me...

First off, times I'm stroking her and she's purring away and seeming quite happy, then she starts to lick my arm, and next thing I know the licking turns into a gentle bite... Is she simply saying "that was nice, but I've had enough now?" and is the licking likely an advanced warning of this? Being used to a dog I was taking the licking as more like being happy, but...

Also, is the time when she grasps my arm between her front paws, and uses it as a chew toy (again gently!), in a variation of the 'oh, I've caught a mouse' game the same thing as the other, or is that far more along the lines of "this is nice, but I'd rather play a game!"

Or am I likely completely misreading what she's saying to me?!

Thoughts, and opinions, and anything else are welcomed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
24-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #2

Re: What is she saying when...

No expert but here's my take--
The petting then the bite sounds like overstimulation. You'll notice her own individual way of warning you when it's going to be a bite..could be a flicking of the tail or ears back or her skin start to crawl..all these are warnings she'd like it to stop now and then will usually be followed by a bite to get the point across if you haven't stopped yet.
Licking is grooming but each cat is individual so if she always does it before a bite then maybe it's her own personal cue?
When she's grasping, does she bunny kick and such? This is inappropriate play and you should direct it at a toy so she's not in the habit of using your hand. If she's just calmly holding it and very gentle, slow bites then may be overstimulated grooming that may lead into play. Just keep in mind you'll want to try to avoid this so she doesn't do it when she's an adult. If she won't take to using a toy, then ignore her so she knows it's inappropriate.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Kate,
have no suggestions realy but i can tell you that Jerry sometimes starts to lick my finger particularly when i have my rings on, he sometimes also licks my toes. If i allow him to continue it usualy does develop into biteing which although shocking doesn't realy hurt.
Don't know why he does it exept i assume he likes the salty taste of skin, i always think he then gets a bit carried away and bites.
I make a joke that if i didn't react and stop him would he then continue and eat me, lol
I hope not

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
24-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Thats a cracking pic. Isnt Jerry a handsome boy

Denis will bite the bit of skin between the thumb and first finger sometimes but not hard and will occasionally lick. The difference with him is if he has had enough I know about it lol he bites through to the bone (but thats the feral in him) and he will bunny kick all of which is pushed away with a cushion so I dont be heavy handed or catch him wrong and hurt him.
He will push my hand away as well with all of his paws and just look at me then I know hes had enough
A previous cat used to hold a piece of blanket in his mouth while pounding away with his front paws so maybe its to see if he is able to do this with your skin

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

This is so interesting! My lovely Kizzy is a great finger licker and will sometimes take my finger into her mouth and chew it very gently, mostly she concentrates on my finger nail and it is almost as if she is trying to pull a layer off, as she would with her own claw. Not sure if this has anything to do with what Squirrel or Shelley describes, or if it's something entirely different.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

My goodness BC, fancy having to fend Denis off with a cushion
Angie, both Basenjis like to try and chew my nails

Catsey Veteran

25-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #7

Thank you all for your responses/thoughts.

Tink, what I've called the "oh! I've caught a mouse game" is the one she does the bunny hops with. And yes, I do immediately take hand, or occasionally foot, away from her and walk away. I've tried getting her to take a cushion or something else instead, but no go. I do feel a bit like a spoil sport when I do that, but I don't want her to think it's OK to play in that way, so stick to treating it in that fashion.

She always is very gentle when she bites me - going just as far as to let me feel the touch of her teeth, like she's saying "remember, I have these, and if you don't stop..." And she pretty well always goes for the front of my forearm for this. And I've never known her to do so without licking me first. Seems a bit of an unusual tell, cause of the fact that it is also grooming, but... will try to remember to take it as a sign to stop, and see what she does then!

I guess it could well be overstimulation - especially when it comes to the times am brushing her, and she goes on to play with the brush! But at least it's the brush she's pulling towards her in that instance, rather than me!

Shelley - I love that picture of Jerry, and I can see that there could well be something in what you're saying there too. I could definitely see Cloud looking on me as something extra to nibble on if I let the food bowl get too empty and she was feeling a little hungry!!!

BC... OUCH on the had enough bites from Dennis - that is definitely clear!!! And yes, Cloud will sometimes push my hand away from her with her paws - sometimes just back feet - but very different to bunny hopping. Definitley her saying "no thanks, I don't feel like it right now!"

Wow Angie... that with Kizzy sounds really special to me. Like you say, as if she wants to help you out with removing a layer of nail - I'll give you a hand with this Mum!

What lovely details - and experiences - about your lives with your cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #8

Shelley - I meant to say that is an amazing photo of Jerry - very good capture that!

Squirrel - I bought one of these (actually for Harley) and Pip and Kizzy both do the hug and back leg bunny kicking, which I think is a disembowling action! Cloud might like one!
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...40&pf_id=50630

Catsey Veteran

25-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

Ooooh! Thanks Angie - I'll certainly look into that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
29-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #10

Dylan just walks off when he's had enough attention ...

He can usually be lured back with food though