Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
01-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #1

Smoking Ban

Just thought I would sart a new thread to see what people think about this?

Im a smoker (well a smoker trying to quit) and I totally 100 % agree with the ban in pubs/restraunts that serve food.

I do think that the traditinal pubs that dont serve food should have the right to choose for them selves OR it should go back to having well ventilated smoking rooms.

I dont know about any other smokers but since the ban has come in,if we have been out anywhere eating and Ive been out for a ciggy,some people look at me as though I have some sort of disease

what are you views?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
01-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #2

Re: Smoking Ban

Hope I dont offend the smokers but I think it is brilliant there is a ban. Was so fed up of going out for the evening and come back smelling so bad it made me feel sick!

I am happy that I can go out and sit in a pub with friends and have a few drinks and not suffer ill health from all the smokers. I used to get blocked nose, watery eyes and felt really ill (and that wasnt the alcohol!)

I am sure the smokers will get used to having to go outside soon. Its only been a few weeks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #3

I'm over the moon that there is a ban (sorry to all smokers lol). I hated trying to eat food in a restaurant, and no matter how far away from the smoking area you were, there was always that lingering taste and smell as you ate. However, I do believe that some pubs should be able to choose ie working mens clubs etc and perhaps one or two in a town, therefore giving people a choice.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #4

I think choice is the key word here, as in, we no longer have any and neither do pub landlords. If a pub is purely a drinking pub, then it should have been up to the landlord to decide whether it is smoking or non-smoking. I know there is the argument about bar staff, but they would have a choice whether to work in a smoking pub or not.

Our local back street boozer which has never served food is now just an empty space with hordes of people drinking and smoking out back and front. Last Friday there were thirty people on the narrow pavement in front of the pub, and I cannot imagine how the local residents who live close by feel about it - it is a narrow road of terraced houses with this pub plonked in the middle.

I dread to think what will happen when winter comes and people don't want to sit outside and drink - I fear they will stay at home and the pub may go under.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
01-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #5

as I said in my first post I totally agree with the ban in places that serve food,but like sammy I think in bars that dont serve food the choice should be down to the owner.
My mom is doing ok at the moment (other than a few complaints from local residents because of noise now everyone is sitting outside)but come the winter she is really going to struggle.The winter months especially Jan after the christmas and new year celebrations are quiet She only hung on to the pub by the skin of her teeth last winter before the smoking came in so Im really hoping the ban doesnt make it worse for her this winter.

Its far to early to see if this ban will/has had any effect on businesses at the moment but we will see during the winter

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #6

I agree with the ban where food is served but I don't agree it should be across the board in every establishment. I think a lot of pubs will suffer after a winter with the no smoking ban in place. I for one would rather stop at home than have to sit outside in the freezing cold to 'enjoy' a cigarette whilst I have a drink. I think the Government have taken people's basic right to choose whether they wish to smoke or not away. I think they are bang out of order here just like I think they were with the hunting ban. The hunting ban didn't work and I doubt the smoking one will either once 'ways around it' are sort I'm just glad I'm older and prefer the comfort of my home anyhow. If I were younger and still enjoyed pubbing and clubbing, I'd be extremely miffed about it!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
01-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #7

I am totally FOR the ban.

Some people have mentioned the right to choose - unfortunately allowing people to smoke does infringe on those who choose not to smoke - and vice versa!

The smoking ban is still quite new to England we went through the same thing here as I'm sure Ireland did when they introduced it. It hasn't affected pubs - they are all still open and people still go drinking in the Winter time - the pubs are definately not empty at all.

The only problem is that walking past pubs and shops is really unpleasant because of all the smokers but I'm sure it won't be long before there is a ban to smoke on the street

Everybody hates change but to improve our quality of life we need to embrace new ways of doing things.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #8

I totally disagree, why should smokers stop at home? Non smokers should stop at home if they don't like to be around cigarettes. It's absolutely bizarre how this country is going. I'm so glad I'm not one of the younger generation of today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #9

I am a smoker and i do also agree with the ban, we have had the ban for over a year now and that doesnt bother me but now they are talking about banning you from smoking in the street or in your car, where is it going to stop?
I am much more offended by drunks and junkies in the street than smokers.
There is so much more polution from traffic than from smokers in the street.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I totally disagree, why should smokers stop at home? Non smokers should stop at home if they don't like to be around cigarettes. It's absolutely bizarre how this country is going. I'm so glad I'm not one of the younger generation of today.
Here here!