Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #1

199 and counting......

Have you noticed that the next new CatPager will be member number 200?

Wonder how big this forum will get and how quickly? I can only compare it with DogWeb, which had about 400 members (possibly less) when I joined in August 2004. It now has over 2200! There seems to be a critical mass of about 600, after which the momentum really picks up and new members flood in .

Do you think it will happen here? If yes, do you welcome it? Should we/can we do anything to hasten it? Does it depend on the number of posts and the subjects we post? It seems the search engine 'spiders' are always looking at what goes on - so I guess if there are lots of relevant words, which people might insert on a search engine, CatPages might pop up.

Interested in your thoughts.........................

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
23-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #2

Re: 199 and counting......

I must confess to likeing it just the way it is. It's personall, friendly and not too big. although Az will be chuffed if it gets bigger I think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #3

That's a difficult question . . . I was at The Cat Site about 4 years ago when it was quite small (it was never THAT small), but it rapidly got sooo big that cliques started to develop and certain people would only talk to others so the whole thing became quite fragmented.

Obviously it's nice if the whole thing grows - but I guess it depends what the owner of the site wants; a nice place for a group of cyber-friends to hang out or a business that will attract advertising, sponsorship etc. I'm not certain it's possible to get something inbetween, but then I could be wrong

I personally like to have a smaller group, but that's just my opinion .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
23-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #4

I like CP as it is.

I'd be chuffed for Azz if it did get bigger but just not too big, too fast

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
23-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #5

i was with another cat forum but they only spoke to me on occasions,so i deleted it dont like cliuques (sp?)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #6

I've been watching that 199 for a couple of days now.....we have had over 100 new members since Az updated Catpages at the start of October!! I personally find it easier to get to know people when it is smaller, I must admit it took me a while to get to know who was who when all the new members joined, it happened so fast , but I've got to know quite a few now. With the regular posters it is easier, it is when someone comes on who hasn't posted for a while and you have to try to remember who they were that it gets difficult. There are a small group of us on here who are regulars from almost the start....we have become good friends but I wouldn't like anyone to think we were 'cliquey' as we like everyone to join in with our madness .....the more the merrier In fact I have noticed one or two of you that might challenge Moli for her crown

Az has done a brilliant job in promoting this site and I hope it is successful for his sake.....

Catsey Veteran

23-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #7

I'm with Mags on that.. If it gets bigger s.l.o.w.l.y and we can get the time to chat, then it's easier for us Older people (as in age). I think when the site was updated and alot of people joined quickly it was alot to take in.
I would hate to think anyone thought it was 'cliquey' but it does take time to get to know everyone and there personalitys. I hope it stays a happy, funny friendly and helpfull place. I for one will try and keep it that way! Its amazing how quickly you get to the point ' I'll just pop on and see whoe's there' or 'I'll have to tell the guys this' Maybe I'm just being daft but I do enjoy poping in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #8

I personally would be lost without you lot! Have to have my daily dose of laughter that I get on here, get withdrawal symptoms if I stay off too long...Anyone is more than welcome to my crown!!!I was sane till I joined Catpages!!!

Catsey Veteran

23-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #9

Who told you that? Was it the little voices again?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #10

200 has arrived! (Hello Tdatcat - come and say Hi in the Introductions section )
Everyone's comments seem to echo my feelings - I enjoy the *ahem* intimacy of the relatively small board and feel that I can keep up with the members, their pets and events in their lives. However, as long as this place stays as friendly as it is now it will be fine to grow naturally and it's always nice to meet new people.