Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Maine Coon
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

hi

Hi I have a Maine Coon kitten, unfortunately she has been poorly since we got her, with flu like symptoms. This week she will be tested for herpes virus and calcivirus. She is such a sweetie and its really upset us both that she may have either of these viruses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Re: hi

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Hi, a warm welcome to Catsey.

I'm so sorry to hear your kitten is poorly . You say she has been like this since you got her - was she poorly when you took her home from the breeder?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

So sorry to hear your kitten is poorly. Sending healing vibes from us.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #5

hey there and welcome to the forum,

sorry to hear your wee kitten isnt very well. What is her name?

07-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Hi her name is Cleo. She started sneezing about 24 hrs after we got home. At first I thought it was just stress but after a couple of days thought I'd better get her checked out by the vet. Her lymph nodes were up, and still are. The vet said she was exposed between her 1st and 2nd injections and that the stress of going to a new home started her shedding the virus. She is well in herself, still eating,drinking and playing. I got in touch with her breeder who was really upset. But I have assured her that she will have a forever home with us.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
07-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #7

I hope she gets better. My wee boy cat Harris, was 5 and a half month when we got him and he had only just been given the all clear after having cat flu aswell as calicivirus, he still occassionally gets a runny eye but he is happy and healthy 2 yr old monster and his calicivirus has never flared up even after the stress of moving to our home and introducing a new cat after having him for over a year before we brought skye home!!!! Our other wee cat who is also 2, we have been told suffered quite badly from flu aswell but again shes happy and healthy

Thats great that she is still eating and playing, cant wait to see photos

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #8

Hi and welcome, sorry to hear you have a poorly kitty and hope she gets better soon. I have 2 Maine Coons and one Maxi the male became poorly not longer after we got him home. I think Maine coons can sometimes have a very stressful sensitive nature then on the other hand a very wild nature like our Maisy lol, they are totally different .
Maxi is all better now as I am sure Cleo will be soon x

08-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #9

Thanks for all the positive replies. All I've read about these viruses has been so bad that it was nice to read something positive.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
23-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

Hi Kimeter,
I had a Maine Coon for many years, they really are very special cats, real strong characters and very sensitive to their environment, and (mine) seem(ed) to soak up the feelings of those around (him) them..and let you know just how they felt! so I can understand how worried you must be. Having said that my Maine Coon was very resilient. Is that a photo of Cleo in your avatar? What a beauty