Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
20-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11

Re: Name suggestions please

I've got an appointment with Princes Trust so they'll be helping me start it up (appointment is at the beginning of August)

There's still a lot to do before I start it, I'm hoping Princes Trust will help with funding as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Funding for what? There aren't many over heads, not like you need premisses, you cannt drive so no van...
You havent answered my other questions, are you doing dog walking or is it just small animal care? The more you can offer the more chance of getting business. Cats and small animal care are pretty much seasonal so you need a main stay such as dog walking.
Dog walkers and pet sitters are starting up every day, many thinking that its easy work and easy money but I tell you it bloody isnt. It's hard graft getting going and even harder graft getting a good reputation.
I know of several who started a year ago in Aberdeen and are really struggling to make ends meet, they are thinking about quitting coz it's not the quick buck people think it is.
People think walking 4 to 6 dogs at a time is easy, and it can be if the dogs are compatable and well behaved but many have had no training and the owners expect you to train them. I'm a dog walker not a trainer. They also think you are coining it in, thinking 6 dogs and hour at £? each times that by 3 or 4 walks a day equals big bucks. Takes me the best part of 2 and a half to 3 hours to get the first lot walked, picking them up, taking them to destination for walk, walking them and taking them home before getting the next lot. The there is fuel to consider, wear and tear to the vehicle. Then you have dogs that are NOT compatable and need an individual walk..... the list goes on.
You need to find a niche, something you can offer that people want and that no one else does, for example I saw an advert for a cleaner/dog walker.

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #13

I'm thinking of doing dog walking with it, realistically I'd be better working for someone else but currently there's not much work around and job centre have stopped my job seekers allowance because O/H works over 25 hours and apparently we are not eligible for any other financial help.

I don't really know what else I could do to get an income coming in. I know it's going to be hard work but all work means you have to work hard at it, I know.

This will only really be a last resort if I can't find work within another couple of months, it will mean I've got an income while I'm searching for alternative employment.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #14

If you fancy shop work RCR, many supermarkets are always looking for staff, P/T and F/T .....

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #15

I'm applying for anything and everything Mags, trouble is I get to interview stage and I kind of freeze up like a rabbit in headlights and don't know what to say.

I'm a cowardly custard I know

Elaine - if I don't use the purrfect pets name your welcome to pinch it off me

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #16

But that's what I'm trying to tell you, it may not be an income until your atleast a year into it, on the other hand you may get lucky but it is a cut throat business.
Do you know any dog walkers in your area? Give them a call and ask if you can spend a day or so with them, actually call a few. That way you will get a better idea from them how much business there is around your area, whether thay are struggling or not and whether they may help pass some business your way.
Is your o/h going into this venture as well? Does he drive? Maybe after some real research and planning, both of you could go into partnership.
What knowledge and experience do you have of dogs? Potential clients might ask this. Are you scared of any breeds? If a dog were to get injured in your care, how would you get it to a vet? There are a million and one questions owners may ask you and you need to be prepared to answer them to their satisfaction.

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #17

Do you have any suggestions about what I can do to get an income then Elaine? Part of my trouble is I just do not so well in interviews.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #18

Networking. Are you both new to the area, or does OH have friends there? More jobs are found from word of mouth from friends than from other sources ..........

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #19

If you are not confident around dogs then I'd stay clear of dog walking tbh. There is nothing to stop you advertising small animal care in local pet shops, supermarkets etc, if you can home board then all the better. Many people do want some one to look after g-pigs, hamsters, rats etc while they are away but again you will need to be knowledgable on small animal care and how to spot stress related illness etc, you would also have to be able to keep Dylan away from the small furries. But again it would be seasonal work. Or if there are many cats in your area, maybe make up some leaflets and go round doors with them offering a cat sitting service, again seasonal. I dont know your area, so I dont know what opertunities there are available. But if you want your own business, you have to find a niche, put yourself out there and convince people that you are the very person they need or require.
Maybe you should ask the Princes Trust to help you research these things in order to find out what you can offer that no one else does.
Ironing? Any good at that? Alot of people would pay some one to do it for them, I know I would. Cleaning? Sewing?

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I'm applying for anything and everything Mags, trouble is I get to interview stage and I kind of freeze up like a rabbit in headlights and don't know what to say.

I'm a cowardly custard I know

Elaine - if I don't use the purrfect pets name your welcome to pinch it off me

I have my name and am registered but thanx