Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #1

Back to the Vets

Update on Mindy

We went to the .vets today and Mindy got her stitches out, she was a very good girl.

Had a long talk with the vet. The insurance won't pay for her special diet however we will try it for a while (5/6 months) to see if it helps. At the end of that period we will try introducing one at a time, different proteins to see if there is a reaction. I have ordered a bag of the Hills Z/D and a case of tinned Z/D.

She got a antibiotic jab for the granuloma around her neck and throat, antihistamine/steroid jab to help with her symptoms and Atopica meds to take daily. I have heard of good results from Atopica in dogs. It is a very expensive drug, unless you had insurance behind you, you could not afford it, well, I couldn't anyway. We have also been given a special spray to use in the house and their bedding to try and control house dust mites.

We will freeze her dry food overnight as freezing is the only thing that kills off storage mites in dry foods. It's present in all dry foods, human and animal.

She is so much eased tonight after her injections. Looking for cuddles and strokes whereas before she couldn't bear to be touched as her body was so uncomfortable, itchy and hot When we went to the vet today, even her wee ears were crimson red with allergy

Atopica for cats is a syrup so not as bad as pills, don't think she will appreciate it tho, she and I will just have to get used to it as she will need it daily for the rest of her life.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
07-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #2

Re: Back to the Vets

You have a lot of hard work ahead of you Helen, but I admire your commitment to Mindy and her health. I'm sure she appreciates her loving mummy and glad she can return the love now she feels a little easier after her steroid jabs.

I wish you luck and give extra cuddles to Mindy from me for all her discomfort, my best wishes to you too, keep smiling and share your thoughts with us here. Here to help!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

How lovely that Mindy felt comfortable enough to be able to want cuddles. The fact that there is such a positive outcome so soon surely must be promising. As PP said, do share your thoughts here. We can't help in a practical way but I've always found Catsey positive support to be worth a big bag of gold!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #4

Well today wasn't so good - I am now looked at with suspicion and feel like the field from Hades as I had to give her the Atopica this morning. I thought the syrup,would be easier tha. Pills and it is, but by goodness if looks could kill - I would be dead. Finally at about 10pm, she allowed me to come close enough to get a stroke but then took herself off again.

Came across something tonight which is relevant. the vet mentioned yesterday that the only other food that is such zilch reaction is one by RC however it has rice in it and Mindy is allergic to rice. Was browsing tonight looking at online suppliers and was running down the list of ingredients in z/d and was slightly dismayed to see that z/d has rice and rice protein in it, the wet version is rice free. So I will have to query it's use with the vet, so maybe we will be back to square one diet wise

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

sorry to hear about all you're problems with Mindy, Helen x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
10-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Poor Mindy. Very interesting to hear about the storage mites, I've learnt something there.
I hate it that most cat foods put rice or soya in everything. It's a cheap 'bulker', yet cats don't eat carbs by nature, or at least I've never seen one stalking a potato..
Please give your brave wee poppet a gentle hug from me.