Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggie
08-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #1

Profender problems?

Hi all,
I'm new to this site, but wanted to get some sensible opinions about people's experience with profender spot on wormer.

I gave Bagheera (neutered male, black) what must be his third dose on Friday. As soon as I took it out of the packet he tried to scarper, which he's never done with any other meds!
He looked pretty poorly for the rest of the day and has now developed a bald patch on the site.

My vet has been markedly unsympathetic and said "we'll we've never has anyone complain before". However I've just spoken to my dad who said exactly the same thing happened with their cat.

It seems a big coincidence. So now I'm wondering... There must be more examples out there.

Anyone else have a patchy cat from this drug?

Cheers
J

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #2

Re: Profender problems?

Hello, and welcome. I have not used that particular product, however I did have a similar experience with a spot-on flea treatment with one of my cats. I found switching to a different brand sorted that problem out.

A little more of a concern is your vet's reaction. Surely they could have simply advised you that it might have been a allergic reaction with your cat and offered an alternative product? However, unfortunately I think vets are now similar to GPs, i.e., they get 'rewards' for recommending or prescribing a particular brand.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

I've not used Profender either but like Yola, I had a similar problem when one of my cats had a reaction to Advocat. She ended up with an inflamed patch on her skin. My other cat is fine however, so Kizzy now has Advantage and Pip has Advocat.

At the time, I took Kizzy to the vet and was prescribed a topical steroid cream which I didn't use on her and the reaction calmed down on its own. The vet didn't seem worried or surprised at the time either.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mainecoon x2 gingerwhite x1
felix66 is Male
08-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

hi,can`t comment on the profender,but your vet saying nobody else has complained,is not what i would want to hear from my vet,we changed our vet due to loseing faith,as yola has said ,some vets seem to only want to push surtain products,hope Bagheera is doing ok.

Cats owned: Moggie
08-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Hi, thanks for all your comments. Have to say that my vet's reaction is probably what has upset me more! You would think that selling a (very loyal) customer/patient something that actually hurt an animal would concern them. Also you would think that they would be grateful for some feedback on products that could be a duff batch.

I may swap brands but think I will probably feel safer with pills now (not physically obvs., plasters at the ready!) Fingers crossed the fur grows back in the meantime. As he's also had a scrap with a fox he's not looking his best at the moment...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
13-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Your vet really should have phoned up the company to report an adverse reaction, unless its stated on the safety info given with the product which means it is a recognised side effect. A drontal cat tablet is probably the best option for the future.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
14-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #7

As Yola says it does look like the vet's reaction was a bit on the 'defence' of Profender doesn't it..It could be that bald patches are probably such a common occurance the vet has been warned about them by the drug company to just shirk them off as a transient and harmless side-effect. I used it on my boy recently, with great reluctance for the 1st time ONLY because he needed worming and he panics when tableted. I put it on 3 places along the neck where he couldn't reach. It turned the hair greasy but yes, I was expecting a bald patch too! The question is: Is the bald patch caused by the cat over-grooming that area BECAUSE these drugs makes the fur greasy thus seperating it and GIVING ACCESS TO A SMALL PATCH OF SKIN which is then licked vigorously by the cat cos it smells, and they want rid? OR does the Profender make the fur fall out? I expect it's the former? It's not easy to get it on a place that isn't licked!

..a scrap with a fox? Are you sure? 20 years of fox watching tells me foxes keep their distance from cats..almost certainly unless the cat is dead or dying. What happened there.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
17-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

Ive used it on Oliver because its so difficult to get him to take pills. He hated it and he also got scabby andd bald on the back of his neck. I will stick with the pills from now on!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
17-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

I wouldnt dare giving him a pill, what i usually do is half it and put it in his sweetie box n shoogle it so that the smell gets on it. It just takes so long!! lol