Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Black Forest cat,grey tabby
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Indoor cats and seasons

Hello, I have 2 indoor girl cats, they love being inside and have never tried to escape,when front door is open they have no interest in the outside world, they must be like me not wanting to go outside into the cold lol. Should I get them spayed? Am I being mean to them by not gettin them spayed? They will not be having kittens either. Maybe a silly question so sorry if it is thanks cat lovers xxx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
09-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #2

Re: Indoor cats and seasons

Hi, I would get your girls spayed even if they aren't interested in the outside yet. It only takes them going out once for them to get pregnant! It also means that they are much less likely to get certain illnesses later in life.

And don't worry about asking questions, there are loads of people on here with experience in many different areas so ask away!

Cats owned: Black Forest cat,grey tabby
09-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the help will do that ASAP!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #4

I'd definately have them spayed, its easy to say you wont let them have kittens but entire cats have a very different view on this lol. As they come into call you will have entire toms from all over, and they do on occassion, try to break into houses just to mate and your girls will keep calling until they are mated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #5

Take it from me - it is not easy to put up with one cat in call never mind two. Whereas before they showed no interest in going out, once they come into season, they will be tearing at the door to get out so yes my advice is get them spayed ASAP.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
11-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #6

I have 2 indoor girl cats as well and we were strongly advised to have them spayed because if we didn't it could contribute to their ill health later in their lives. It obviously matters more when they do go out , maybe in the summer, but if they are not going to produce Kittens, then they can get infections in their teets. we got our 2 spayed as soon as they were old enough and it has had no effect on their lives as such, but massive peace of mind for us!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Having them spayed is not being mean, as my vet always says- imaging having the urges to have sex and breed but never being allowed to. I would imagine, very frustrating.

We took in a cat last year, her owner felt as you do, worried about her being in pain after the op etc. Sadly the cat had a pyrometra aged 8 and had to be spayed anyway, by that time she had also developed mammary cancer. When we took her, because the cat had started to attack the woman's new partner, she had developed obvious tumours. We had them removed but it was too late and she died 9 months after we had taken her in due to lung cancer ( secondary to the mammary cancer). She was 9 years old.