Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
Mat is Male
31-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

Neutering my two indoor kittens?

Hi,

I phoned two vets today for some advice and whilst at it I asked about getting my two 8 weeks old kittens neutered.

I was given a price of £43 per kitten by a local vet which I think is very good value to my knowledge.

However both vets I phoned one quoted £57 said they won't neuter them until 6 months old.

As they are brother and sister I'm worried they may mate before 6 months as I have been reading and apparently some come in season at 4 months, I don't want litters and was hoping I could get them neutered earlier. On checking pets protection and some other charities they recommended and will do it much earlier.

Is it normal to wait 6 months? I want them to have it done for there own benefit even thou they are in door cats. I want Smudge my male kitten to be castrated first then Foxy my female kitten soon after.

Any advice would be great. I'm concerned they may mate before 6 months and want to know if anyone knows or have had there's done earlier? I've in Cardiff by the way. Can you pay pdsa for example to neuter then or no as they seem to do it earlier?

Thanks
Mat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Re: Neutering my two indoor kittens?

I think you are wise to be making plans early one Mat - I've not been in the position of having two kittens of the same age, different gender so can't really comment. My male kitten Pip was done at 6 months and had only been allowed out of the house before he was neutered on harness and lead.

I know veterinary advice changes - we've just been told that they like to neuter bitches before their first season now, saying that the operation is quicker and recovery better.

You've time to ask around and I'm sure folk here would be interested to know what the current advice is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #3

The current trend where we are, is 6 months for males. If you push it most vets will do a male at 5 months especially if he is "showing" and more so if you explain your situation having siblings of the same age

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
01-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

The usual here in Australia is for kittens to be neutered /spayed at around 8 weeks of age... That is standard across all rescue organisations here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
04-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Like Velvet said, if you make your vets aware that you are worried about having siblings of different gender at home, they might be willing to do them a bit earlier.
Our vets have a lower weight 'limit' of 2kg due to the drugs used as part of the anaesthesia protocol. Having said that, it can be very hard to get hold of anything when the boys are smaller!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #6

Isn't it amazing, the difference in age for neutering here and in Australia?