Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #51

Re: Tempting a cat to eat?

Hoping for good test results for Oscar today

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
17-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #52

Hi everyone, I could really do with some advice today...

Oscar had his first blood test since Friday today, and his levels seem to have hit a plateau over the weekend. He's eating a little, though he's been acting rather flat today and yesterday.

His urea is 42 from 43 on Firday, and his cretinine is 717 from 767 on Friday.

Unfortunately I can't visit him tonight, but I'm going over tomorrow as the vet thinks it's time to take him off the IV and bring him home under observation for 24-48 hours and see how he gets on.

I've looked all over http://felinecrf.org/index.htm, and while I've read that cats can continue on with very limited kidney function, I couldn't find anything pertaining to less-than-normal blood levels. Any help?

I'm not sure quite what to do next :/

Catsey Veteran

17-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #53

Hi, i'm sure someone will be along to give you some advice, i can't realy advise you about his levels. However maybe his flatness is due to being away from you and home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #54

I seem to remember Elaine saying a good while ago that Tanya can be contacted and is very helpful ..... you could try contacting her support group on the website and asking the question.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #55

Hmmm I am loathe to write this however you asked for advice I cannot give advice he is your cat.
My thoughts would be quality is better than quantity of life - bring him home. See how he is. Just because we can lengthen life soes not mean at all costs in my mind however not saying that is the case with Oscar maybe he is bored and fed up bring him home see how he is. Sustaining him purely on IV is not in anyones best interest is it?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
18-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #56

If Oscar were my cat, I would bring him home. It sounds like the IV has done a good job of getting him back on his feet again, and he probably misses you and his family. I was lucky with my cat Speedy, she didn't have to stay at the vets for treatment as she never had a severe crisis like Oscar, hers was a slow decline over three and a half years with many highs and lows. I never kept track of her levels, just went on the advice of the vet and how she was in herself, so I can't help in that department, but I know in your situation I would be missing him like crazy!

Catsey Junior

18-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #57

Hi everyone.

I brought Oscar home this afternoon, my darling fluffy boy is so thin now We've a tentative appointment booked at the vets for Saturday morning, but if he crashes before then there wont be much else we can do for him.

I've got some renal food for him, as well as Fortekor tablets to be given once a day. I'm now back to my original question; 'how to tempt a cat to eat?'... He's been drinking, though not excessively, and came out of his carrier straight away and did a wee and a poo in the litter tray. Havn't been able to persuade him to eat anything yet though.

He's had a bit of a potter around the house, though he couldn't jump up onto the table where he usually sleeps :/ It's good to have him home though, even if it might not be for long.

Catsey Veteran

19-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #58

I'd buy a hot chicken and try to tempt him with tiny pieces of that. Glad you have him home

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
I'd buy a hot chicken and try to tempt him with tiny pieces of that. Glad you have him home
Echo that or a chicken portion. Something with a strong smell - pilchards? salmon (tinned) chicken, tinned sardines in tomatosauce, roast lamb, cheese even or squirty cream..... fish paste on your finger? Boiled ham? tinned tuna?and it may sound weird but the cheapest tin of catfood you can find (strong smells is what you are after)

What does he like> give it to him. Eating something is better than nothing.

Add a little warm water to wet food....this will help anyhow more liquid.

Is he able to tolerate milk? if so a little blood heat milk? runny scrambled egg with bits of fried bacon in?

Hope it works...........

Catsey Junior

20-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #60

Thanks you two.

He still perks when you call or stroke him, but he's so weak and only getting worse. He drinks if I carry to him the tap, and eats a few small pieces of ham or chicken if I open his mouth and pop them in, but his spark has gone.

He treated me to a lovely long purr last night, but I'm coming to terms with the fact we have to let him go soon.

Closed Thread