Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
10-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #21

Re: Tempting a cat to eat?

It's not good news, I'm afraid.

The vet said he was severly dehydrated, and did blood work to test his kidney function. Unfortunately, the 2 things he was tested for (Urea and something else) came back very high, and he's in the stages of kidney failure.

The vet advised to take it on a day-by-day basis, so Oscar is in the clinic on a drip and antibiotics, and I'm to phone in the morning.

I feel so helpless, my last cat to have an overnight vet stay never came back, and I just don't know what to do.

Cats owned: NA
yoshi8 is Male
10-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #22

At least he is in the right place and getting the best treatment hopefully. Hope he responds to treatment for you and his sake.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #23

I am so sorry its turned out like this, but its one of the basic facts of having animals they have shorter lifespans than we do. The only thing you can do is cry a lot and do whats best for your cat.

I am so sorry Oscar is poorly, but you never know he could surprise you all.

Catsey Veteran

10-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #24

I'm sorry to hear this about Oscar , you are doing all you can.
Like Karen says he may rally round, you never know. He is being given the best chance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #25

So very sorry to hear this. He's in the best place. Try to keep strong for him. (((HUGS)))

Catsey Veteran

11-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #26

any news on Oscar today ?

Catsey Junior

11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #27

Hey Shelley.

The vet did another blood test this morning, and while his urea and cretinine levels have dropped, they've not gone down as much as expected and he's still not got much appetite.

His first test was urea - 89, cretinine 1300, and the second was urea - 77, cretinine 1100.

He's being kept in on the IV drip today and overnight, and hopefully there'll have been more improvement tomorrow. The vet wanted to make me aware that he's still very sick, and his levels are still very high, but the fact that he's no more than 8 years old rather than being an *elderly* cat stands in his favour. I'm still incredibly nervous for him.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #28

So sorry to hear about Oscar, I really hope that his youth will work in his favour and he will bounce back from this. There is alot of information on the internet about feline kidney failure/disease and I can recommend www.felinecrf.org if you haven't already found it!

Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for both of you xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #29

Had he been sick prior to this? Its unusual for such a young cat to have CRF, Acute Renal Failure is usually caused by the cat ingesting something poisonous, anti freeze, plant matter etc.

http://felinecrf.org/acute_kidney_injury.htm

This particular page will give you all the info on ARF.

I sincerely hope that Oscar pulls through, best wishes to you both xxx

Catsey Junior

11-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #30

Thanks for the links, I've actually been combing that website over the last couple of days.

Elaine - The only other health concern we've had with him was when our previous vet in England detected a mild heart murmer when we took him to have some matts removed. That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and he's had no problems before or since, until now. I doubt he's ingested anything poisonous, both of our cats have been indoors for 3 months since our house move, and there's nothing lying around that they could get into.

Closed Thread