Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #11

Re: Tempting a cat to eat?

If no better i would go back on Monday x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #12

I would have expected my vet to run a full blood test. One of the dangers of cats not eating for a while is liver disease.
Keep tempting him with anything and everything, better he eats something little and often than nothing at all. Warm chicken, tuna, sardines, prawns anything. Try mushing the food and mixing with a little cooled, boiled water so that he can lap it rather than chew.
I'd get him back to the vet as soon as you can tbh.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #13

Hello
Sorry to hear about Oscar's health.
I would say back to the vets but keep a foo/health diary and try to calculate how much water he is drinking by measuring it before it goes in his bowl and how much is still there when you change it in a 24 hour timescale. Then
you can see if he is drinking more or you are noticing he is drinking whereas before you really didn't. When we worry we do tend to go OTT.

What sort of food does he eat? I noticed you said whiskas pouch have you tried adding a little water to his meal making it like a gravy so he can lap rather than eat/chew and maybe even adding boiled cooled water to any meal he has so its warm when he eats it the smell I think is different when warm. I found when my old lad did not eat strong smelling things got his attention - pilchards - sardines - chicken - ham etc. He adored roast lamb. I always added water to his wet food and tried to make sure he little and often rather than a full dish a couple of pieces of fingernail sized pieces of ham every three hours is a lot to a cats size tummy.

Hope he improves and let us know how the vet visit goes.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #14

Thanks all.

Elaine - the vet said the next step would be blood work, if the antibiotics didn't help, but I'd have to go to the main surgery rather than the smaller clinic we were at.

Kazz - I wish I could accurately measure how much he's drinking, but he plumbs most of his water from the tap! It's very noticable though, as I'll offer him food and he'll turn away in favour of drinking from the tap instead.

He showed no improvement last night, despite the appetite-stimulating injections, though I was able to get the first antibiotic into him this morning. The vet gave me Ceporex to give twice daily, Sunday - Wednesday. I'll be staying at home with him today to try and persuade him to eat, and if not then it'll be back to the main surgery tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #15

Hope he improves. Do continue to keep us updated if you can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #16

Fingers crossed for Oscar. Can't add anything to what's already been said food-wise.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #17

Hope the vets visit goes well tomorrow and that Oscar improves soon

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
09-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #18

Oscar has definitely got worse today, he's been less active, drinking and urinating less and showing no sign at all of wanting to eat by himself. As he's had so little to eat for so long now, I've been syringing various liquid foods into him, just so he has something. We're going to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

10-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #19

I am so sorry to hear about this decline. I hope he feels a bit better - look after yourself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #20

Very sorry to hear this .......... bless him.

Closed Thread