Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
08-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Urine sample, any tips?

I took Smudge to the vets last week as she just wasn't herself and hasn't been for a little while. She was put on antibiotics, which have helped, and had a blood test which has revealed that she is showing signs of chronic kidney disease. The vet has requested a urine sample for a more accurate digagnosis. I have never been sucessfull in getting a sample from a cat so I was wondering if anyone had any tips! When Speedy needed a sample taking, the vet ended up sticking a needle into her bladder, which was a very unplesant experience for everyone, and definately a last resort!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Re: Urine sample, any tips?

I'm sure that there is a sterile litter-type substance that you can put down in the cat's litter tray if she uses one. Other than that I am equally sure there is a device you can use but it is tricky trying to catch an outdoor cat peeing. I do wish you luck and send Smudge calming vibes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Think this is what Angie is talking about...
http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/site.aspx?i=pr226666, you should be able to get it from your vet too and am surprised they didnt offer it while you were there.
Any way, I used to have to try to get urine samples and it can be a long time coming....
What I used to do was to shut the cat in question in a room with the litter box and pretty much wait for him or her to pee, sometimes I only had to wait a few hours other times it took days....

Have they started him on any diets or meds yet? I highly recomend the felinecrf.org website, they may also have some tips on getting a urine sample.

Catsey Junior

08-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

Thanks guys. The litter looks like it might be worth a try if she won't go in an empty tray, perhaps I have given up too soon with the others. Speedy lived with crf for 3 and a half years. She would not go on an empty tray or eat the prescription food! We ended up just feeding her whatever she would eat! Her brother also had it, but unfortunately he went downhill very quickly and there wasn't much we could do for him.

We are off to the vets again on wednesday to discuss treatment. Hopefully we have caught it quite early and she can have a good quality of life for a few years yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #5

When i suspected a UTI our vet was able by manipulation manually the bladder to express urine on the examination table - kitten was only 6 months so pethaps its easier with youngsters

Hope all ok with Smudge

Catsey Junior

09-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #6

That sounds alot better than sticking a needle in! I will bring it up next week if I haven't been able to get a sample.

Smudge seems ok in general. She's a bit cheesed off about being shut in the bedroom, but I think she's enjoying having a break from Romeo jumping on her!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
09-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

My Vet said that the best sample was when they could take it "direct" from the Bladder, and recently when Joy was ill I had to leave her at the Vets until they could do it. Other than that , I did manage to get some from the tray, by putting only a small amount of "litter" in it and waiting for her to "go".

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #8

sorry to hear about Smudge's problem.
When Jerry needed a sample for the vet i was able to get one by following him into the garden and waiting until he squatted to wee, i was then able to collect the urine in a disposable shallow foil tray which i then transfered into a bottle. Maybe you could do this when he uses the litter tray.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #9

My cat will never 'perform' at the vets for a urine sample so we always get the sterile litter balls. We leave them in the tray overnight then collect the urine first thing in the morning - certainly easier that following him round the garden with a clean 'Flora' tub (yes, we actually did that! haha).

EDIT: My vet has never had a problem with getting useful, accurate readings from the sample in the tray and I absolutely refuse to put Billy through the stress of a needle in his bladder so if you're not comfortable with that option, stick to your guns x

Catsey Junior

09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
When Jerry needed a sample for the vet i was able to get one by following him into the garden and waiting until he squatted to wee, i was then able to collect the urine in a disposable shallow foil tray which i then transfered into a bottle.
That made me chuckle! I can't imagine what the neighbours thought!

Fortunately she went in the tray with a bit of newspaper in there. She is VERY upset with me right now, so I think I will have to bribe her into forgiving me with some dreamies!