Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4x non pedigree
29-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Cat being neutered... What time night before to stop feeding

Hi All

I am taking Dexter my cat to the vets on Wednesday for his little chop op lol. (I have not told him yet). As this is the first cat in over 10yrs to have the Op I have forgotten how long they cant have food for the night before. Is it like us 12 hrs? I have to take him in no later than 9.30am, so he is not going to be operated on until at least 10am at the very earliest.

The reason for my question is that I have 3 other cats, 2x which are 10yrs & 1x kitten 10weeks old. As they all eat together i am going to find it very diffficult to separate them. I thought perhaps if i stopped feeding them all at 8ish pm, then surely that is enough time.

Many thanks

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

Re: Cat being neutered... What time night before to stop feeding

It is usually no food for 12 hours before an op. I would think stop feeding Dexter at 8.00pm would be fine ....... just make sure he is not able to 'steal' food from the others.

Good luck to Dexter, please let us know how he gets on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Ah, another member of the Big Boys Club! Well done Dexter, I'm sure you will be just fine.

Catsey Junior

29-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I thought 12 hrs should be fine & I can pick up the others food as that wont be to early for them either. Got to keep everyone happy lol.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
30-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

Good luck to dexter!!

Catsey Junior

31-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Hi All

Just to let you know Dexter is home & all went well. However he nearly didn't get there at all. Dexter decided that he was not going to stay in his cat box. Three attempts it took me to get him in the car. The first time we were half way to the car & he managed to push the door off the box, he jumps out & legs it back to the garden. Second time we only get out off front door with me trying to lock it he starts again, I managed to get him back in the house,put the door back on & double check it, making sure it was firmly in place in he went again. On the third attempt we made it to the car with cat in & car door shut lol.

By all accounts he was a little angel in the vets lol. Still I'm glad its all over for him (& me)

Thanks all for your comments.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #7

I'm glad it all went well for Dexter and he's back home again.

Maybe you should rename him Houdini after all his escapes before getting him into the car!

Catsey Senior

JMPARK is Male
01-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #8

Don't blame him really, It was his "manhood" being take away!! but for the better, but he doesn't know that!! Glad all went well in the end!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

Virtual cuddles to Dexter - glad all went well. My two always try to leg it when they see the cat carrier. Pip is so laid back that he adjusts and just takes what comes, but my poor little Kizzy has a very stressful time and usually ends up soiling herself and the carrier. I've tried Feliway spray but it makes no difference, she's just a scaredy-cat.

Catsey Senior

JMPARK is Male
01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

We leave our carrier out in the front room, and very often our cats go inside it and go to sleep. So when it comes to taking them out, they don't realise until too late!! But that has never stopped them going back in it again!!