Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
27-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #11

Re: What age to make change from kitten food to adult cat food...

Thanks for the answers everyone. I find your different experiences very interesting.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #12

I normally start the change over after neutering, whatever age that may be. My 2 now will be neutered at around 4.5 - 5 months depending on their sexual maturity. I just find I've had and seen too many issues with weight gain with kitten food being fed after neutering as the energy requirements reduce by approx 30%. This is also what royal canin, my brand of food recommend.

Everyone has different experiences but this is always my advice to clients after their cat has been neutered

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #13

Thanks for that Amber, thats interesting. I wont get another bag of kitten pro plan. Now just have to decide which kibble is best for them - Hills or Pro Plan - decisions, decisions - lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #14

If you stay with the same brand, the change over shouldn't cause stomach problems ............ although you can never be certain. But mixing the two types and gradually reducing the current food should minimise any likelihood. Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
If you stay with the same brand, the change over shouldn't cause stomach problems ............ although you can never be certain. But mixing the two types and gradually reducing the current food should minimise any likelihood. Good luck!
Thanks Angie my inner brain tells me to go with Pro Plan even though its bit more pricey as the dogs did so well on it yet im at the vets more often... Ive loads left of both so it wont be for a while yet.