Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: About to get a kitten
14-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Food - wet, dry or mixed?

Just looking for some advice, as I will be introducing some little uns into my household soon I am curious as to people's opinions as to what to feed their kittens (they would be at least 10 weeks old).

I have read peoples opinions on general forums and they seem fairly 50 50 about it but thought I would get a more expert opinion here.

Thanks in advance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #2

Re: Food - wet, dry or mixed?

I would prefer to feed mine wet .... but they don't eat it! Or rather they lick the gravy but don't eat the meat and rather than starve the poor itty kitties, they have dry. I do offer them meat and keep trying though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

My boys are fed both wet and dry.....they always have a dish of dry food avaliable, and get wet food in the evenings...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

Mine get wet only. They used to just lick the gravy/jelly off until I got some food they like - Sheba, Natures Menu - higher meat ratio. Now they eat it all up.

I dont feed dry at all as one of my cats is prone to cystitis.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
14-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

I'm the same ~ mixture of wet & dry. Dry food is always available at 2 different feeding stations (I have 2 cats & if you are getting several cats, then I'd recommend a few stations as they grow up). My feeding stations are above ground level as cats feel safer higher up (& I have 2 labradors!!).

My cats get wet food morning & evening too, either pouches of commercial cat food, or tuna in water, or some chicken, or cooked coley fish, some raw minced meat, ~ as much variety as I can get away with really, while making sure they stay healthy.

Fresh water should ALWAYS be available, preferably at several different places, but these don't have to be the same places as the food ~ cats are quite capable & used to, finding food in one place & water in another.

Best of luck with the new additions to your family

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: About to get a kitten
14-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I was going to ask about the use of raw meat etc, seems like a good idea.
I was thinking of getting a couple of water bowls and a fountain too, they seem quite good value and all the cats I know love drinking dripping or flowing water from the taps.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
14-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #7

Mixture here too.

Mine are just 6 months so they have a wet meal morning, mid afternoon and evening (try to do it every 8 hours)

They have ad lib dry in a bowl where they can browse at their leisure.

I have a cat-it water fountain that they either drink from or play in depending on how thirsty they are!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
14-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #8

All wet here!! I think since they will still be quite young you should get them used to wet as early as possible so it'll be easier going for you.
I used to feed dry but after reading up I decided to switch.
HIGHLY reccomend this book:
Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life, by Elizabeth Hodgkins D.V.M
and maybe poke around at this link:
http://www.catinfo.org/
Good luck!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Wet wet wet all the way here. Mainly due to my experiences of kidney disease and cystitis, to name a few of the things dry food diets contribute to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
14-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

i feed a mixture of both, always have. pip is only 5months so he gets wet food 3 times a day and there is always dry food and fresh water available for him