Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
02-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #11

Re: Alfie - little tubby!

Hi Angieh,

yes I think thats the answer but you don t get the reproving, appealing, pleading looks or the incessant meowing that ensues !! But I will have to be strong - will let you know how we get on!! Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #12

Good luck - I did have almost the same with Kizzy! But she got loads of cuddles and extra play to take her mind off food. She is fine now and we haven't had to diet her again. Wish I found it that easy!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

you could try replacing the dry (or some of the dry) with some raw as a snack or treat. Like half a chicken wing or neck or so. I've done this with Ninja and it has really stopped the begging.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster
you could try replacing the dry (or some of the dry) with some raw as a snack or treat. Like half a chicken wing or neck or so. I've done this with Ninja and it has really stopped the begging.
That's a great idea if you can get your cat interested in raw meat & bones ~ fantastic for dental health too.

Jan ~ as Alfie is an indoor cat, the opportunties for exercise are more limited than for cats that have free outdoor access. I would suggest that you make sure he has lots of playtimes with his toys. This means that you will probably need to play with him (it's not enough just to provide toys ~ the cat must burn up the calories by rushing around & practising predatory behaviour). Increased exercise is just as important, if not more important, than reducing food, for weight loss. Sometimes just reducing the amount of food makes cats less active so it's important to make sure they stay active too.

Good luck with Alfie

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #15

Hi again,

Blimey, getting Alfie to stay still sometimes is hard enough! He is very playful, tears up and down the stairs, leaps on and off cupboards , chases and play fights with Felix and Maisie if she will let him, but yes, I will certainly be reducing his dried food and he is now down to two meals a day since he was castrated. The amount of cat toys in my house is also phenomenal so much so that they have their own toy box! I throw cat balls to the top of the stairs and he races to tap them down, that seems to be a good way to keep him on the go! Gets him so excited though he goes "on a mad one" as my son calls it! Thanks all for the advice as always. Jan X