Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
22-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #1

Greedy but losing weight

I weighed Dylan today and noticed he's lost a kg within a couple of months. He is eating like a horse (or a pig) yet he has lost some weight.

Mum picked him up today to give him a bit of attention and she commented he seemed a lot lighter than he'd been when he came to Lincolnshire.

I suspect when he was in Yorkshire (due to the fact he was really fussy about his food) that my relative was feeding him anything he wanted on command. Now he's only got me feeding him (apart from the odd bit of chicken every now and again as a treat), so could that be part of the reason for his weight loss? He's getting more exercise here than in Yorkshire.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
22-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #2

Re: Greedy but losing weight

it could be just that, he is getting more exercise and being fed differently. as long as he wasnt underweight, i would monitor his weight over a couple of weeks and note if there was any more weight loss, and if yes,to the vets for a blood test. is he acting normal apart from that, no changes to his coat?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
22-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

If he's eating well but losing weight I would definitely recommend a vet check.

An overactive thyroid function (hyperthyroidism) can cause hunger & weight loss but can be controlled with medication. Other medical reasons could cause weight loss too so best be on the safe side & see your vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Yes, I'd agree with vet check. A kg is quite a bit of weight to loose if he wasn't overweight beforehand. If Dylan is not getting extra food and is more active now that could mean there is nothing wrong, but just for your peace of mind?

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #5

He was borderline overweight before he came to Lincolnshire.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

What is Dylan's current weight, RCR?

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

He's 5 and a half kg Mags, he's perfectly fine in himself being a right chatterbox (meowing constantly and wanting attention 24/7 which is normal for Dylan), following us around and not letting us out of his sight (again normal) and generally obsessed with anything on two legs (again normal for Dylan)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
He's 5 and a half kg Mags, he's perfectly fine in himself being a right chatterbox (meowing constantly and wanting attention 24/7 which is normal for Dylan), following us around and not letting us out of his sight (again normal) and generally obsessed with anything on two legs (again normal for Dylan)
That definitely doesn't sound underweight to me - Cassie was 4.8kg at her last weigh in with the vet a couple of months ago.

I'm a bit concerned that he has lost 1kg in such a short time though ....... maybe you would be wise to have him checked out with the vet just to be sure there is no underlying reason for this sudden weight loss.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #9

Do you know for sure that your relative was feeding him aswell as you feeding him his normal meals? It would stand to reason that if he was eating double when you stayed with your relative and now he gets regular normal sized meals that he would have lost weight.
If you are concerned then a check up wouldnt go amiss.
I take it he has settled in well?

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Do you know for sure that your relative was feeding him as well as you feeding him his normal meals? It would stand to reason that if he was eating double when you stayed with your relative and now he gets regular normal sized meals that he would have lost weight.
If you are concerned then a check up wouldnt go amiss.
I take it he has settled in well?
She'd get chicken in specially for him Elaine and leave food down for him at all times, she seemed to think he'd only be happy if he had food in his mouth at all times. She was exactly the same with Beauty, but Beauty was always underweight so I didn't mind that.

It's the fact he seems permanently hungry that's getting me a little worried, could that be due to the fact in Yorkshire he had access to food 24/7 Elaine?

He's booked in to the vets this month for his booster - do you think I should mention it to the vet when he goes in?