Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
26-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Chloe - Small Cat/Doesnt eat a lot

Chloe has always been a lot smaller than Misty. They are not related so assumed Misty was just a "big cat" and Chloe was a "small cat".

She is very fussy with food, but likes kibbles (which she cannot tolerate as she gets cystitis when on dry food).

I do worry about her as you can feel her spine. She appears very healthy and happy but just seems too small if you get my meaning.

She tends to lick the gravy/jelly off of food and leave the meat, so she doesnt really get to each much at all each day. Misty is quite happy to mop up her left overs which will explain why she is a bigger cat.

If she does eat stuff she only eats a small amount and then leaves the rest for later maybe, but it is gone when she is back as Misty is there again

I have tried giving chicken leftovers after dinner, but she is not fussed... although she loves raw chicken...

Any ideas to help me get her to eat something/bit more?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #2

Re: Chloe - Small Cat/Doesnt eat a lot

How old is Chloe Donna, and do you know exactly what she does weigh?

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
How old is Chloe Donna, and do you know exactly what she does weigh?
Hi, she is five years old this month and I have just weighed her. She is 3kg exactly.

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

I wouldn't think that 3kg is too bad, but it is certainly worrying if you don't think she is eating enough. If she is a "little and often" girl it is sad that when she goes back to her food, it has been cleared up by Misty! I would think that's the main problem to try and sort first. Is there anywhere she could have her food where Misty won't be able to finish it off for her? That's a hard ask I expect but may be worth thinking about.

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #5

I might go down a "better quality" food.. bought some Natures Menu today to try them on.

Also, will maybe give her a few tidbits when Misty is not around so if she does miss out on her dinner by Misty finishing it off, then she will get extras from me as treats. Might give her some raw as well once in a while as a treat. Does that sound ok?

I dont think she is too bad weight wise, but just dont want the situation to make her underweight as she cannot afford to lose any!

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

Yes, the treat idea when Misty isn't around is a good idea and also the "better quality" food, if she will eat it. Just try and up her calorie intake. I take your point about her not being able to afford to lose any weight, especially with the cold weather around the corner.

Good luck - let us know how she gets on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #7

Wil she take cat milk at all? A little cat milk a few times a day might help, maybe even split her meals into smaller amounts but feed them more often.....
Just a thought.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #8

All good ideas, smaller but often, extra treats, cat milk. It's difficult with one cat who likes to leave some for later and another who scarfs up any found food. Good luck, Donna.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
27-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #9

When we put a sachet of food down to harris, he only takes a tiny amount of it and leaves it, he does go back during the day but again he only eats minute amounts of it. We feed him on felix which is what he was fed at the cat protection. We also put dry food down which he eats aswell. Hes only about 6 month and when we got him, he only weighed in at 2.37kg, hes still quite skrawny but very healthy and active.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
28-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #10

Oliver is the same Pamela. He only eats small amounts of food and when we got him, we took him to the vet to get a check up and the vet said he was a bit underweight. He was 2.5 kg and 11 weeks old. Still cant get him to eat a plate of food, but he does like chicken and fish, which he scoffs! Havent weighed him since, but he will be 4 months at the end of the week and he still looks scrawny!