Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #11

Re: What will tempt him?

Oh great that he ate it with the prawns mixed in!

Cats owned: British Shorthairs
Darwin is Male
01-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #12

I am suprised the vet said add tuna flakes in brine. Is brine not full of salt, therefore not ideal for any cat, let alone one with renal problems?

How about trying salmon oil? You can get capsules from Holland & Barratt, just pierce the capsule and squeeze over the food. It would be easier than chopping up prawns and may give that fishy taste & smell he likes.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
01-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin
I am suprised the vet said add tuna flakes in brine. Is brine not full of salt, therefore not ideal for any cat, let alone one with renal problems?

How about trying salmon oil? You can get capsules from Holland & Barratt, just pierce the capsule and squeeze over the food. It would be easier than chopping up prawns and may give that fishy taste & smell he likes.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately i tried my boys with pure salmon oil a few months back and they wouldnt touch the stuff-explain to me how kitties that love fish food so much can dislike pure salmon oil?

AJ doesnt have renal problems, he has crystals in his urine, but that didnt cross my mind about the salt either! maybe its because it would be a short term thing to try and get him eating? either way we havnt given him the tuna, the prawns are still working quite well. even though we are chopping them up he is still managing to pick them all out but luckily he is getting most of the other food with it too. he has only had his prescription food and prawns the last two days now. he hasnt eaten very much of it, about 1 and a half pouches plus the prawns today, but im hoping he is starting to get used to it!

I did find an alutray version of this royal canin food, its still chicken flavoured but it seems like it is in jelly rather than gravy which we might have more luck with. i emailed an online pet pharmacy and royal canin themselves to see if they can tell me what the difference is and also see if i can get a sample from somewhere so i shall let you all know how i get on with that.

Cats owned: British Shorthairs
Darwin is Male
03-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #14

Could you try tuna flakes in spring water? I would have thought this was without added salt but you would need to check. Good luck!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
03-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #15

So AJ had some of his chicken flavoured food today without prawns! he eventually ate it all but it took two sittings and was only half a pouch He just isnt eating much with this at all which means he isnt pooping much either! but neither are the other two because their routine has been messed up by not having dry food down all the time, the only thing that has stayed the same is them having a wet meal in the evening. I think from tomorrow we are going to start giving Rhino and Hernie a wet meal in the morning aswell as evening. at the moment we are putting their dishes down with dry food in throughout the day when AJ is in the bedroom having his, but Hernie isnt quite getting that he needs to eat at that point too bless him.

I am actually going to collect some of the alutrays from the vets tomorrow-turns out they could order it in for me after all! so im really hoping we have more luck with that so we can get him eating as much as he should be. shall report back when he has tried it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #16

I do hope that AJ likes the alternative JB. Good luck, fingers (and paws) crossed here for him to tuck in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #17

Thanks for the update, i hope you manage to get him to eat more. It's such a worry and very difficult in a multi Cat household.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #18

I hope the alutrays work. Fingers crossed.