Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #21

Re: Complete Dry food

I absolutely know and agree that cystitis and other urinary problems may be exacerbated by feeding dry - and also acknowledge that feeding dry is hugely convenient for a cat owner. IF I could buy a nutritional gravy I would definitely do so - Pip loves it but will NOT eat the meat, so there would be huge wastage. Kizzy, as some of you know, did have digestive problems when she first came here and the Digestive Comfort dry food cured that for her (and for us). I do have a water fountain and Kizzy in particular likes to drink daily from it. Pip still likes his running tap.

I suppose you would say that if they only had wet food to eat, they would soon come round .... always pluses and minuses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #22

I so agree about the gravy ... they love it; Leia always laps it all up before eating the food. I imagine it might bee a bit pricy but would definitely buy it if it were available.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I suppose you would say that if they only had wet food to eat, they would soon come round .... always pluses and minuses.
I wouldnt say that at all Angie, as many have experienced, cats can hold out longer on the fussiness over hungry scene. Nor would I criticise what you feed, I just have a bee in my bonnet as usual

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #24

Rightly so Elaine - I would follow if I could.

Harley at least eats wet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I wouldnt say that at all Angie, as many have experienced, cats can hold out longer on the fussiness over hungry scene. Nor would I criticise what you feed, I just have a bee in my bonnet as usual

They can hold out longer than I can; Leia absolutely refused to eat the Royal Canin the vet prescribed for her cystitis. But on her present diet she's had no recurrences, knock wood, so I feel I'm doing something right. Wet, extra water and small meals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
29-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #26

I have been slowly trying to increase the wet food in my house so that the cats hopefully eat more of it than the dry. I cannot eliminate dry food completly because my ferrets eat it and right now it is not feasible for me to give them a balanced, raw diet. So there is always kibble out.

That said, I choose for the kibble that IS out to be no grain and low carbohydrate.

However, ANY kibble (even if it is no grain, low carb) will have certain fillers in order to bind the food together. Seeing as no kibble can ever be perfect, this is something I have taken into consideration and the kibbles that I do offer I weigh the pros and cons of the fillers that are needed to bind the proteins and fats together into a kibble type food. Personally, I compare ingredient and guaranteed analysis carefully in the hopes I can find a kibble with the least amount of fillers and those fillers would also be comparably low in carbohydrates and free from grain. I also like my kibbles to be free from corn, wheat, or soy.