Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Complete Dry food

I know that many of you would avoid feeding dry if possible and I understand the reasons, but having said that .......

Kizzy and Pip have Royal Canin Digestive Comfort mixed with Hills Science Diet, originally recommended by the vet. The Hills has recently been changed, and although I am always sceptical and think it's just repackaging with a price hike, in this case there must be something different because neither Kizzy, Pip nor Harley like it nearly as much as the Digestive Comfort, so I am considering a change. I'll still mix the Digestive Comfort (as it really suits Kizzy especially).

The only other dry I've tried (without success) is Joe and Jill's organic .............. I'm thinking Arden Grange. Any other recommendations? Another Royal Canin variety perhaps?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
27-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #2

Re: Complete Dry food

Alfie was on RC Sensible and did v well on that. Other than that I've not fed RC.

I've used James Wellbeloved and like that. I intend to feed kittens JW, Applaws or Burns. Just now they're still on Felix as that's what Dan fed them.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
27-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

I used Burns for quite some time before changing over to the Arden Grange Sensitive fish and potato. I am trying to put my boys onto more wet food now especially after AJ developing bladder problems as you know, but Hernie and Rhino always had very soft stools and problems in that area before feeding them the Arden Grange and have been great since so i would definately recommend it I always check the ingredients of any food im giving my boys to make sure there is a high meat content and not all that deriatives rubbish so i would always recommend burns or arden grange. they have the added bonus of not being tested on animals too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
27-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #4

Is it the Hill's vet essentials you've changed to Angie?
We've had a number of cats refuse to eat it and as a result we're not going to stock as much of it. The kibble size is bigger as it's meant to incorporate the oral care range. Imogen has tried it and likes it but most of the time she has RC British Shorthair (unless I'm a bad mummy and we run out, then she gets Hill's samples! )

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5

I've just gone and looked PL. It's called Optimal Care. Can't remember what it was called before the relaunch.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #6

Can't offer any suggestions from my side of the Pond: Leia gets Purina One Senior and Chef's Blend, but just as a topping on the wet. Good luck finding one that suits.

Concidentally, in the monthly e-newsletter from my vet, they mentioned today that Hills is raising their shipping charges as of September first here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
27-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #7

Our 2 are fed James Wellbeloved and we're happy with it but we don't have any specific dietary needs to accommodate. Morgan Cocker is fed Burns dog food and I would change Molly and Jason to their cat food if they weren't happy with JWB

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #8

It's a bit hit and miss with cats isn't it? What I may want them to like is the least likely to appeal. I forgot that I had tried the Applaws dry, which they didn't like, although they did like the little tins! But only as treats very occasionally will they get those.

I may ask various companies for samples and see how we get on .............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
27-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #9

I have fed them Evo but am weaning them off that as Proctor and Gamble just bought Natura and even though they promise to keep the formula, who knows where they will source the ingredients?
So i've introduced Wellness Core which has gone over really well.
In the past I've also liked using Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Go! Natural Cat Turkey and Duck by Petcurean.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
28-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #10

Oh yes, optimal care! I think it was just called adult maintenance before, as far as I know it was just the packaging and bag sizes they changed rather than the formulation?
As far as other brands, Imogen is a fan of the fish flavours and always liked James Wellbeloved white fish-it comes in smaller bags too so you don't get stuck with a lot of uneaten food.