Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: non pedigree
nomadicbry is Male
21-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #51

Re: Anyone feed raw ?

We are planning on feeding teh kitten raw. Currently her diet is 70% raw. when given a choice of raw or catfood she alwyas picks the raw first

We tend to give her chicken wing and fish, sprats and sardines etc which she loves

Being a family of vegetarians I have tio admit I'm not at all comfortable with having dead animal flesh in my kitchen but as cats are obligate carnivores we feel by feeding raw we are giving her the best diet and we can control the source of teh meat we give her. That is I wont but battery/barn raised chickens or fish caught in an unsustainable manner. I'm still learning as we simply never had to deal with such questions before but it's an interesting exercise and the kitten seems to be thriving on the raw diet which we are hoping to increase to 100% after we've got through all the free cat food we got from people.

I can't see any problems with a raw diet especially if you do your research first... Right I'm off to buy some organ meat for the blood thirsty little one to see how she take to that

I found this website quite useful. it is a tad fundamentalist but is packed with good info:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

Cheers,
B

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
22-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #52

I'm finding this thread fascinating! I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even know you could feed raw meat to cats! It's just never occurred to me. The link in the previous post is excellent, so I'll be doing more research ................. and chewing it over!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 cats
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #53

Hi

If anyone's interested in feeding a raw diet to cats' there's a UK raw feeding group, specifically for cats on Yahoo groups. It is just about raw feeding and not a group for discussing anything else. It's only been open a few months, and it's quiet due to there not being many members as yet. The owner (who also runs the 'raw feeding dogs' group - Britbarf - some of the dog raw feeders here, may be aware of the group) is considering closing the list due to lack of interest. Which I think would be a shame, as I'm not aware of another UK based one.
I'm quite sure there is a market for such a group, but so many people are put off the idea of feeding raw to cats, because they're told that it's really complicated and they'll need to be super careful to get it right. It really isn't as complicated as many think. I'm still in the process of switching my cats over completely, but the delay is down to their fussiness, and not my fear of not getting it right.
I've fed ferrets on raw and whole prey for a little over 2 years now, and will feed the cats the same way. They're both obligate carnivores and would eat a similar diet in the wild - small rodents, rabbits etc

So, if anyone wants to give raw feeding a try the group is here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/britbarf-cats/

Catsey Junior

06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #54

I gave YumYum some raw fish this morning. Is it OK to give fish raw? At first she just took a few nibbles, but then went back and ate the whole lot!

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #55

Raw fish is actually REALLY bad for cats on a regular basis. As a treat a couple of times a month is fine. Elaine has shown a really good link before on this, scroll down a bit to see section dealing with fish. www.messybeast.com/bad-foods.htm.
This raw food feeding is not as easy as some on the thread has made out There are soooo many pitfalls and mistakes that can be made. Owner beware!!!!

Catsey Junior

06-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #56

Thanks Catwoman. I was thinking of only using it as a treat as it hasn't got all the nutrients a cat needs. But thanks for the 'heads up'. I'll have a look at the site.

Banned

06-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #57

Your welcome! Though I would cook the fish lightly in future, the reason is clear in the link.

Catsey Junior

06-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #58

Yep ................ I've just read your link. Very interesting, so thanks again for that. The next time I give her fish, I'll cook it! Should have gone with my gut instinct which was to lightly cook it.

Banned

06-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCat
Yep ................ I've just read your link. Very interesting, so thanks again for that. The next time I give her fish, I'll cook it! Should have gone with my gut instinct which was to lightly cook it.
Great minds eh?

Catsey Junior

06-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #60

One should always listen to one's inner voice!