Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #1

My poor Daisy!

Oh dear what a drama!

WEll.... I have been at home for the last two days - been off sick. Yesterday monring I let Daisy out, she was in the back garden in her usual spot, I looked out about midday and noticed that she was rubbing her bottom on the grass, didn't think much of it, anyway about 7pm I thought I would see if she wanted to come in, so went outside to call her and she was really not herself, she was dragging her behind and legs behind her. She came to me and I lifted up her tail, and she had poo all around her rear end, she has long hair and it was EVERYWHERE - AND she had flies all around her behind too - I knew this was a very bad sign and she was in distress.

I phoned the emergency vet and they said to take her straight over. When I got there he examined her and said that she had Fly Strike which can be fatal if not caught in time. We have caught it in time and she has has to have a lot of her fur shaved off and has had pain killers, anti infalmatories and antibiotics.

I have to phone the vet today at 12 to see if I can collect her tonight - she has had about 75% of her fur shaved off :O( but she seems to be ok which is the main thing.

I can't wait to get the little baby home and give her some TLC - dont think she will be going out for some time with no fur I am sure that she will be a little cold!

Abbi

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #2

Re: My poor Daisy!

Awww bless her Abbi, I hope by this time now she is back home with you for lots of tlc What is fly strike exactly?

How are you feeling yourself now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #3

Poor baby, hope she is feeling better now...Heard of fly strike, but never seen it...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #4

What a good job you were there. I am pleased she is on the mend but can I also ask whats fly strike?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #5

ok this is the science bit - not nice ladies so beware!

Daisy is long haired, and a little matted around her rear end, she had a poo the poo got stuck to her - the flies were attracted to her rear end, they lay eggs the eggs hatch into maggots within 12 hours and eat the animal from the inside out - will be fatal if not treated! Its gross, but luckly I caught because any of the eggs were hatched.

I collected her from the vet this evening at 6pm, she is looking VERY sorry for herself, she has been shaved from the shoulders down so is look looking very pretty - she looks like a bit like a lion with a main and no hair anywhere else apart from the end of her tail!

I will try and get a pick on here later.

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #6

Oooh Abbi, it sounds awful - bless her. I'm so glad you caught it in time!! Bless her I bet she's feeling the cold!! You'll have to speak to Sam about borrowing little Mo's coat

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #7

lol - no not yet PK! Here you go - not looking so pretty bless her!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...yshaved006.jpg

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #8

Awww she looks so sweet Looks like one those of those designer clips like poodles have :P

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #9

yeah that is what I keep saying PK - she looks like a poodle! Poor little love.

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #10

At least you caught it early Abbi, that's all that matters, her hair will soon start to grow back