Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #1

Not winning with Bovril.

Bovril, the stray cat we took in was never claimed, blood tests showed he was very hyperthyroid and this also means he is elderly.
Last week he was very poorly, his food consumption had dropped which I assumed was the effect of the vidalta dropping his thyroid levels to normal, however he didn't eat in the morning and by evening didn't lift his head, so we took him into the vets. He had lost 0.5kgs too!
His temp was up and the vet took a blood sample to send off to check his thyroid. He was given Metacam to help reduce his temp and antibiotics. The next morning he was worse and more bloods were taken and I was fearing the worst, that his kidneys had packed in. His bloods were surprisingly good other than being slightly anaemic. He got a vitamin b injection and another antibiotic. He improved over the day and was meowing at me for food by the next morning. A couple of day later his thyroid results came back and they were normal.
He had slowly gone off his food again and just looks awful, I now think it may be his teeth and I kick myself for not thinking about it sooner..... I've been offering all kinds of food, including hills a/d pâté mixed with cat milk but he wasn't keen. Yesterday I gave him some Metacam because he's clearly interested in the food but turns away, I then offered a salmon pâté mixed with warm water and he's lapped some of it up. He's back to the vet today but I think his condition is so bad they won't be able to operate if it is his teeth and my bigger concern is that it's something more sinister.
Between this and Lady, our 14 year old collie with a mast cell tumour, who was off colour the day before and also ended up with blood tests and a scan, only to find out she had an upset tummy! My vet bill has sky rocketed this month!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

Re: Not winning with Bovril.

Sorry to hear about Bovril and Lady. Must be worrying when identifying the problem is difficult. Have you thought about slippery elm for Bovril? I know when my Merlin didn't want food it was because although he was hungry, food probably made him feel sick - the slippery elm helped in that respect.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
09-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

When our Chubbiz was very poorly and completely off his food the vet gave him Convenia which worked brilliantly. It may work for Bovril, just a thought. Chubbiz had another jab about 11 months later when he was ill again then again 8 months later but sadly it didn't work and we lost him.

Catsey Veteran

09-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

Bovril recently had a convenia injection, because he had an infection and it did take his temp down and perked him up. Everything has been tested, the vet can't feel anything abnormal and he would struggle with a sedation for a scan or an x-ray. His teeth are ok, so we have no idea what is going on. The vet is concerned he has se wasting condition, I'm now wondering if vidalta may be having some side effects?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
09-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Poor little chap, I'm really sorry he's poorly. He's obviously been through such a lot. I wish him well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

I guess the vet wouldve checked for mouth ulcers?

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Bovril is looking very poorly today, I'm starting to wonder if it's the vidalta? Some of the less common side effects fit this description. To go from being bright, hungry and active ( I know these are symptoms of hyperthyroidism) to a walking skeleton completely off food and lethargic...... The only thing I can think of is it's the meds. If it is, I hope we are not too late as he looks really bad today, I just hate not being able to help him or get him to eat.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
10-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

Have you tried Complivet foor supplement - it looks like Bovril don't take the Flumax one the cats here hate it and it maybe the Vitalda has no effect on him - I have one on felimezole and he is great crap on Vitalda and a feral on Vitalda who is great with it

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #9

The vidalta is working Liz, his levels are down from well over 180 to 37, I'm just concerned the anorexia and lethargy are side effects. I am clutching at straws and it may well be something more sinister, I have often experienced ( and know other rescues have too) taking in a very thin/ neglected animal, feeding it up, only to lose it to a something else...... It's almost like, when you feed the animal you feed the disease.

Catsey Veteran

11-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

Well after syringe feeding Bovril, hourly over yesterday, he's looking much brighter, fighting me when I try to feed him and going to the food bowl with some interest. I've just left him lapping up some watered down tuna pâté food so here's hoping his appetite will pick up. He's still very unwell but I think if I hadn't syringe fed him yesterday, he would possibly be dead today. I guess I just have to wait and see what today brings.