Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
28-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #1

Bleeding after poo

Lola is 14 weeks old. Had had both sets of her vaccinations at 9 and 12 weeks which included advocate and worming tablets.

Lola's mum was Bengal of half Bengal and the Dad was unknown so just bare that in mind because I've done a lot of research and from what I've gathered, bengals suffer a lot with dietary problems?

So lola was weened by the breeder on Royal Canin kitten and Felix pouches. When we bought her home we switched her straight to whiskers dry/wet pouches. Saw the adverts on TV and was cheap. Our vet advised us at our 9 week check to take her off pouches and for to have a dry food diet only as that is better for her.

Lola's poo was like, thick hommous. It STANK and was a light tan/orangy/brown colour. Every time Lola pooped, we had to wipe her bum because it would stick to her anus , like cover it. Didn't think this was right. Googled it and found out whiskers is really crap for your cat!

Went to the pet shop the next day and told him about her poo. He advised Nutram. Oh my god, it was amazing. Proper dark brown, firm sausage like poos. Was a slight odour but didn't stink at all. However, after a few days on this her bum would bleed after a poo. No blood in the poo or wee but her anus would have blood all around it. Would wipe away and wouldn't continue to bleed. Called the vets straight away. They said as long as she keeps eating and acting normal she should be fine. And she was.

So this continued for a few days but it happened again the next day so we went to a different pet shop. They said there was too much protein in the Nutram and she was straining to much so it burst a blood vessel. Change her to a diet with less protein.

Changed her to Iams. No blood but back to SRINKY hommous poo.

Went back to original pet shop, suggested 'simple' she's been on it for 2 days now, not firmed up yet. STINKS. And tonight she bled again.

She is still fine . Loves her food still and acting normal but this is horrible. I've booked a vet appointment for her on Saturday. I'll try and get a poo and wee sample to take with me. But please help. I don't know what to do. I'm going to have a nervous brake down. I'm a first time cat owner and I love her so much. I don't want this to happen to her.

Please help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #2

Re: Bleeding after poo

Youre changing her food too often & too quickly. When changing food you do it over 5 - 7 days depending on the severity of the poor digestion

Cat poo does smell its just something we as cat owners put up with

We have three cats with delicate digestions. One had chronic diarrhea for six months no fun with a white long haired cat.

We feed ours on ProPlan Delicate dry food & for breakfast they get Felix wet food.

Its a diet that works very well for ours

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
29-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

If the blood is not actually in the poo and is bright red, she may be irritated by her digestive upset and I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Like Velvet mentioned, seems like she's been changed to quite a bit of different foods in such a short time.

Maybe you can give her time to settle and start from scratch. You can add a little bit of slippery elm to help her firm up and maybe give a probiotic. Stick with one food for a bit. If she develops diarrhea again, give her system time to adjust before switching again.

Are you giving treats that can be upsetting her tummy? or is there a possibility she's getting into something she shouldn't like plants, etc,

I would also recommend taking advice from your vet, not the pet store.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

sorry to hear about your problems, some good advice from velvet and timber there, nothing to add really, except to say that cat poo really does smell bad even if there are no problems.
You could try researching petfoods yourself online, we have done this for the dogs.
Easy for me to say i know but try not to stress too much as the kitten will pick up on it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
29-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

We have a Ragdoll with a dodgy tummy. He is on Sanabelle dry food for sensitive digestion and Purina pouches. I try and feed pouches that are grain free and all meat. We do give our animals cooked chicken and boiled rice mixed together if they have an upset tummy. Our oldest cat is 12 and we have started feeding his main meal as raw beef mince and he is great on it, less poo and much less smelly. I find Felix as good as it looks pouches upset Big Fooze, the Ragdoll and any Felix makes all my cats (5) sick. Try not to worry but take advice from vet, a poo sample is a great idea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

I would agree with Velvet and Tmber. No harm in getting a poop sample done to rule out any infection or parasites but I suspect its more dietery.
I can sympathise though, I have a dog with Inflamatory Bowel Disease, not pleasant for either of us but most especially her.
I'd stop all commercial foods and feed her some bland fresh foods that would be gentle on her tummy and give her digestive tract time to settle and heal. Poached chicken and or fish with a little brown rice to bulk it out a wee bit, or scrambled egg. I'd look for a good food or consider raw feeding. Sometimes it may be a particular protein source that will trigger a bad reaction, so start with one protein source, say chicken, feed that for a month, if all is well then you can leave her on that, should she have a reaction then stop using that, allow her tummy time to settle again and try a different protein source such as fish and so the process goes.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
31-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

How is Lola doing? I hope she's feeling better.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
08-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

Monty our BSH blue has got colitis (that's what the vet thinks) so we feed him Hills ID which does help, but he still gets blood in his poo may be once or twice a month.