Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 X Shorthair non pedigrees
22-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Kidney failure & home treatment

We rushed Benny in to the hospital Friday as he had the same signs as Dizzy did 3 weeks ago when he got ill & died within 2 days due to toxic poisoning, antifreeze, lillies or paracetamol. Benny's signs were normal, bright eyed & eating & he wasnt dehydrated, but the vet took him in for bloods due to the history. An hour later & with test results in hand the vet was astonished at such high numbers over 1000 & off the scale over 64 that he was rushing back to the nurses to get benny on IV immediately. He's brightened a bit & is eating & passing urine but I'm still worried sick, they've given more blood tests today & his numbers have gone down a little but are still high. They are talking about sending him home in the morning on a special diet & have said something about testing in a few weeks. This last bit might be wrong as my head was spinning after she said home the next few days in critical condition, surely if he's still critical they should be keeping him in longer. I'm worried sick we're gonna lose our baby like we did his brother a few weeks back & am petrified of having to nurse him & doing something wrong. I've read the post by sarah about her 1 yr old & read the links that are great to learn from so thankyou all already for the invaluable info on there. I've been told its kinder to pts than let him suffer, but after reading Sarah's post I'm going to fight all the way, if Benny is fighting so am I & I'll only give in when he's decided he's had enough. I'm off again now to re read the links on acute renal kidney failure as antifreeze or lillies are the cause of my two 2yr old babies this past month. I want to make sure I ask all the right qu's in the morning to the vet before coming home with my baby. Wish me all the luck in the world, I'm scared stiff.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

Re: Kidney failure & home treatment

The first 24 to 48 hours are critical with ARF, but it can be turned around and your vet has done the right thing by acting quickly and getting Benny on fluids and meds right away.
I would have thought that they would probably run another blood test before releasing him to make sure the numbers are falling.
I am very sorry that you and your cats are going through this and wish you all the very best xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
22-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

so sorry your going through this for a second time in such a short time . hoping all the best for your boy, i know how you feel i've fought it too as far as im aware it is recommended that the cat stays in the vets on a drip until their levels have dropped, see what they say tomorrow x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

I'm so sorry to hear about Benny, especially after you lost dear Dizzy. Quite a few members here are very knowledgable about this, especially Elaine, so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer any questions or offer any helpful advice. It's a bad time for you right now, (((hugs))). Fingers crossed he's going to be OK

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
22-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #5

So sorry to read this, how awful for you and your family. I have no experience of cats and renal [kidmey] failure - however one of our dogs is in renal failure. She is on the prescription [K/D] diet and it does help control their condition

Absent healing being sent to your lovely Benny hugs for you. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

So very sorry to hear about Benny - but you've made the hard decision - to fight with him and so, being strong for him is the way forward. Scary, but brave.

See what the vet says about bringing him home - home is always the best place to help recovery. There is nearly always someone here on the forum to offer support when needed. Good luck and loads of positive healing vibes for your Benny.

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #7

Any news on dear Benny?

Catsey Junior

29-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #8

Hi all,

Sorry I havent been on sooner. Benny is doing well & he seems to be ok. He's back to toileting now as I was worried that he was only weeing. He's on the special diet & has to take 1 Fortekor 2.5mg daily. He's a different cat now, much quieter, sleeps loads & not as loveable as he used to be, but we'll get used to the change in him eventually, he's been through a lot. We're just all so relieved that he's still with us. He has to go back next month for blood tests, but I'm still not sure if that is a bit long. I suppose the vets know what they are doing though, it's their job after all.

He's bright eyed, miawing for food at feeding time, moving around as normal so I cant ask much else of him, love him. He's my baby & we're all just so happy our precious Bens is ok. Thanks for all your support everyone x

Catsey Veteran

29-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #9

I am releived to hear that Benny is still with you xxx
He may be a little subdued until his kidney values even out a little more and he begins to feel more like his normal self again. Monthly blood testing is routine for the first month or so after such an ordeal, maybe after next months results there will be a signifcant improvement that you may not need a further blood test for several more months or unless you feel he may need checked again.
Are his values still high? I am thinking they are because of the fortekor....
All my very best wishes to you and Benny xxx

Catsey Junior

29-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #10

They had only dropped a little when he was tested Sunday. I didnt get to speak to the vet as I had a severe migraine Monday & spent the evening & all night in a dark room My parents collected Benny for me & brought him home relaying what the vets said to me. I phoned to speak to the vet who treated Bens but he was in a meeting & then went straight into surgery. I've spoken to our normal vet though who's one of the partners & he was nodding his head & agreed with all I told him I knew about it. I trust them with most issues with all my pets so should trust them with this too, they have never let me down. I've got to ring them now Tues after the hol. to say when should I bring him back for his check? He only had 14 tabs in the pack & we've taken 6, so will be checking if he needs more when they come close to running out. I'm keeping a close eye on him & make sure he's comfy at all times. Thanks for all your support x