Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
29-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

marshmallow

A friend told me today that marshmallow can be good for settling pets tummies.

I never heard of this before, but I am a big believer in natural remedies where possible.

Has anybody else ever heard of this?
I am assuming you dont just feed your pets marshmallows but get some sort of exract of it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
29-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Re: marshmallow

not something ive heard of but you never know! however my old cat did twice got into a bag of marshmallows and half eat them! sticky mess!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

I think this probably means the plant Althaea officinalis or Marsh Mallow!

I particularly like this website

Extract:
"---Medicinal Action and Uses---The great demulcent and emollient properties of Marsh Mallow make it useful in inflammation and irritation of the alimentary canal, and of the urinary and respiratory organs. The dry roots boiled in water give out half their weight of a gummy matter like starch. Decoctions of the plant, especially of the root, are very useful where the natural mucus has been abraded from the coats of the intestines, The decoction can be made by adding 5 pints of water to 1/4 lb. of dried root, boiling down to 3 pints and straining: it should not be made too thick and viscid. It is excellent in painful complaints of the urinary organs, exerting a relaxing effect upon the passages, as well as acting curatively. This decoction is also effective in curing bruises, sprains or any ache in the muscles or sinews. In haemorrhage from the urinary organs and in dysentery, it has been recommended to use the powdered root boiled in milk. The action of Marsh Mallow root upon the bowels is unaccompanied by any astringency.

Boiled in wine or milk, Marsh Mallow will relieve diseases of the chest, constituting a popular remedy for coughs, bronchitis, whooping-cough, etc., generally in combination with other remedies. It is frequently given in the form of a syrup, which is best adapted to infants and children.
"

So it seems it would be good for digestive ailments but I am not sure about using it for cats. Slippery Elm on the other hand is quite safe for use with cats. There is a whole host of sites - just Google "slippery elm for cats"!

Eliza - it's just struck me why you have asked this ..... you can buy Slippery Elm capsules but be sure to get the organic variety to be sure there are no "fillers".

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #4

I wouldn't advise giving any cat the sweet marshmallow, the sugar levels are far too high and it's not very healthy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

A definate NO to the marshmallows but a resounding YES to the slippery elm bark.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
29-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #6

thanks everyone

i did think the sweety ones would be bad, as said full of sugar!
Really never hread if before and not much online about it, and i am not willing to try anything I cant find copious amounts of information on! Wont risk my cats health bless them.

Thank for the exerpt, interesteing reading and i will be sure to look it up some more.

appreciate all the replies