Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
28-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

nursing mum with diorrhea

Hi everyone,
sorry to make my second post here a question! But I found this forum whilst looking for advice on cat health, so here goes...

we have a nursing cat with diorrhea, and want some advice on what to do for her until we get her to the vets tomorrow.

Her kittens are 4 1/2 weeks old, she is eating kitten meat and biscuit and sharing the kittens milk (cat powder NOT cows milk!)

she was wormed about 3-4 days ago (panacur paste) and the kittens were wormed too.
She has stinky runny poo, and is going a few times a day.
She been like it on and off for almost a wee, i havent taken her to the vets up until now as she had a change of food brand ( hadnt realise a quic change can upset them, so gave her a few days after that to settle) , then we were told to worm her and see if that settles it.

Is there anything i can do or give her in the meantime until we see the vet?

Could it be the kitten food is now too rich for her? (now that she has had the kittens).
Can i get anything from pets at home to help her for today?

Giving plenty of water, and she seems fine in herself, which is another reason i havent been overly worried.

thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

Re: nursing mum with diorrhea

Can you not get her to the vet sooner?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/digestive/diarrhoea.html

Hope that helps and hope you can get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

How old is she? Have you had her long? Was she pregnant when you got her? Please have her spayed once kittens are old enough.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38077

Catsey Junior

28-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

I rang vets this morning and they cant fit her in until tomorrow afternoon, I have been googling and giving her boiled chicken for dinner now, keeping her off her usual foods and i have some white fish here for her too.

She is about 2 to 2 1/2 years old, we dont know exactly as she wasnt our cat, she just wandered in my home about 3-4 months ago. I didnt get her speyed before as I wasnt sure she would hang around and didnt want to spey someone elses cat and then get in trouble for it. (I am pro speying though and as she hasnt left our home in over four months am now assuming she is here to stay and have her booked in for speying but there is a six week waiting list here at the moment!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

You would need to wait until the kittens have been weaned anyway. Such a crying shame that the problem is so bad, poor cats and kittens.
Atleast she wondered into some one who is responsible and caring.

Catsey Junior

28-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

The problem in my area is rife apparently, CPL And RSPCA inundated. All local rescues crammed full, few able to take in anymore cats or kittens....
it's a very sad situation up here in the north east.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

Bless you for looking after this cat and her kittens. I do hope that you can get her runs under control before her visit to the vet. Sounds to me like you are doing all the things that might be suggested. Just hope it's not something the kittens will catch.

Catsey Junior

28-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

The kittens seem fine so far, but obviously I will keep an eye on them

Catsey Junior

29-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #9

well we have returned from the vets, what a lovely man he was!
Didnt feel rushed, answered all my questions, gave me some sites to look at online and explained everything!

mum's temperature is fine, her stomach isnt swollen ( forget the word he uesd) or tender. She is a tiny bit under ideal weight.

Given tablets to give her each day for a while, got to drop a sample off tomorrow if she has anymore loose stolles, keep her off the kitten food a little as she currently eating biscuit AND meat and he thins it may be too rich for her, and advised to get her off the whiskas. I didnt realise how crap quality food it is :Z and feel AWFULL i have been feeding my other cat it since we got him, and this cat it too, and the kittens.
BUT have been told to change her over gradually, and feed her lightly today, so boiled chicken for her tea and brekkie tomorrow and some white fish tomorrow, then slowly add more foods.
Got to keep a close eye on her, make sure she continues to feed the kittens, and have got the kittens drinking milk from a saucer. The vet gave me some powder to make up and said DONT give them those little cartons, theyre not very nutritional and a waste of money ( I didnt give them those anyway but had got lactol from pets at home, but now feeding clinicat from the vets)

Got to keep an eye and make sure she doesnt seem lethargic or go off food or kittens get it........ they use seprate trays anyway, and all kittens are fine ( I Decided to take them too to be safe)

Feeling happier, and monitoring them all closely

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
29-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #10

So pleased to hear so much positive news Eliza. Long may the improvements continue to take place. So good the vet was so helpful too.