Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
11-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #1

William

William is at the vets today for an anaesthetic, she has an abscess under a tooth and another tooth that needs taken out. Shes twelve years old and eats plenty of crunchy biscuits, I just wondered if anyone knew of anything else I can do to keep her teeth healthy? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a Seaweed extract?? that you can give them that helps...or have I totally imagined this??

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #2

Re: William

My vet gave me some 'toothpaste' for my last cat.....I had to rub it into his teeth and gums to control the plaque. He was as good as gold letting me do it.......Cassie however, would never let me get near her mouth
Hope William will be ok Het.....let us know how he got on....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Good luck William!! Sorry, can't really help over the seaweed...haven't heard of it. Mine all eat biscuits and some of them eat raw meaty chicken wings to help keep their teeth in good working order...

Catsey Senior

11-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
My vet gave me some 'toothpaste' for my last cat.....I had to rub it into his teeth and gums to control the plaque. He was as good as gold letting me do it.......Cassie however, would never let me get near her mouth
Hope William will be ok Het.....let us know how he got on....
Will do, she wasn't to chuffed this morning about being left there. Shes a stroppy little thing and doesn't like to be too far from the dogs. Sorry the names a bit misleading, she came to me from a farm her mother had died and so had her littermates, a workmates husband worked on the farm and asked me to take her although he told me it was a boy kitten. Anyway he brought 'him' in a cardboard box, he was covered in scratches from trying to get it in there - I opened the box expecting this huge savage beast and inside was a tiny kitten probably only about 4 weeks old. So she was christened William.
My old Springer Jake mothered her, washing her and so on and so she has grown up very 'doglike'

I am a bit nervous as apart from being speyed this is her first anaesthetic but they are very good vets, I just hope she behaved

Catsey Senior

11-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Kitty
Good luck William!! Sorry, can't really help over the seaweed...haven't heard of it. Mine all eat biscuits and some of them eat raw meaty chicken wings to help keep their teeth in good working order...
I am embarassed to say that one of Williams favourite things is a Kebab, and she loves a good spaghetti bolognese as well

Global Moderator

11-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #6

William (Wilhelmina?) sounds quite a case Het! It seems like all our cats can be right stroppy things at times She certainly has some unusual tastes in food
Try not to worry too much, I'm sure she will be fine at the vets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #7

Is William a girl???, hope she is okay, you can get things called denti bits for cats, they are little treats my cats love them..............

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
11-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #8

Poor William hope it goes well for her..

Not sure if the cat system is similar to the human system but you can get an abscess if there is too much sugar in your diet. I had one once after getting addicted to organic flapjacks! all that sugar caused an abscess!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #9

Hope she'll be fine (sure she will)
I think the bad teeth is just a symptom of our cats living longer.
Maybe some good tough meat to chomp on would help? Used to give ours rabbit portions but haven't done that for ages...............mmm, must do do!

xxxxs to William

Global Moderator

11-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #10

Any news on William Het?