Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
29-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #21

Re: Cat just diagnosed with diabetes

Squiggles is a beautiful looking girl, Lyn.I love her snowy white bib.It always amazes me how everyone's white/black and white cats can keep their white bits so clean looking. I have white cats and they always seem to look slightly grubby ! Anyway, I hope that the insulin works well for her (and you).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #22

Gorgeous girl x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Non pedigree short hair
30-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #23

Hello & thank you everyone who's posted with compliments or advice, (thanks cat's staff x) much appreciated.

Squiggles had the runs last night & has been off her food today I rang the vet who told me to miss her morning injection, keep her on biscuits & just offer her her supper as usual. then her evening shot at the usual time .

Has anyone else's cat had an upset stomach when they first start on insulin ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
30-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #24

Hi, no Smudge didn't have an upset stomach but did go off her food sometimes. In the end we had to change to a different diabetic foodas she just refused the other stuff and we weren't sure what to do about injecting her! Hopefully Squiggles is feeling better now?

Catsey Junior

30-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #25

Thanks cat's staff , the vet's told me to keep Squiggles on her ordinary food for the time being until she glucose levels stabilise, I'm not sure if she'll change her food then.

The vet who I get on with best gets back from maternity leave next week, I think I'll change back to her, she explains things better & is a bit more thorough !

The Americans seem to be great ones for using home glucose monitoring kits, they're not so popular with vets & clients over here are they ?

Do you always keep Smudge's insulin dose the same, however much she eats ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
30-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #26

Hi, yes we keep the dose the same and have to be careful with her food. She gets one tin and 30g of dried food a day. She went onto diabetic food straight away so I guess vets do things differently. They may be waiting to see if Squiggles is long term diabetic as apparently in some cases it is temporary- Though i think in most it's a permanent condition.

Thankfully we don't test levels at home- it's bad enough injecting her twice a day without scratching her ear too!

We keep an eye on her general condition, check her weight is stable and watch to see if she gets very thirsty. I try to always see the same vet on her check ups as we like the vet and she knows Smudge.

Catsey Junior

30-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #27

Thanks that's very helpful ,I guess the vet is waiting to see if she's long term diabetic.
I can't say I relish limiting her food intake, she's always been a greedy little devil

I really don't think squiggles would allow me to test her blood glucose level every day

Very interesting advice about what to look out for. I rang the vet back this evening told her how much Squiggles had eaten & she said miss her evening insulin & bring her down in the morning, yet she hadn't told me I must ring her back when I spoke to her first thing

I'm definitely going back to the vet myself & Squiggles know !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #28

How are things now?

Catsey Junior

03-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #29

Velvet, she was alright eating on Monday ( I took her down early to have her blood sugar level tested, it was 24. & she had her insulin, but then on Tuesday morning she was right off her food again & bringing up white froth

The vet told me to leave the morning injection. She started to pick up after lunch & was fine after that & was hungry again. . I was told to leave her insulin & start her again this morning, so we'll see what happens tonight. It's all rather worry, & the vets talking about doing a scan on her pancreas & perhaps more blood tests to see if there's something else going on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #30

Oh dear ..... as if you haven't got enough to worry about with Squiggles. Calming vibes being sent and fingers well and truly crossed.