Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
20-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Smelly kitten

One of the kittens realy smells i think she has rolled in somethis. Should i leave her or wipe her over with a warmish cloth they are 29 days today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Re: Smelly kitten

My friend who breeds dogs often wipes the pups with scent free baby wipes.

A warm cloth would be fine as long as it is not too wet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #3

Sounds like good advice to me ......can't hurt.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
20-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

I am leaving her tonight and wipe-ing her when the kids have gone to school tomorrow. Maisey has been a bit rough with them tonight and has been play fighting with a couple of them by grabbing them with her front paws and scracting there heads. I dont want to upset her even more. There's nothing at all to see but she realy stinks

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies, 1 NFC & 1 Ragdoll
06-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

My suggestion would be getting some kitten shampoo and giving her a wash.

As a kitten they are far easier to handle and you can most likely do it over a sink. Just get some shampoo for kittens as it will be nice and gentle, Johnsons do a good one and you can find this in most pet shops.

Just make sure the water isn't cold and isn't hot, just nice and warm and it should be OK to do it yourself with no help but it just depends on the kitten.

As for drying it just wrap it in a towel and cuddle and rub for a while and that should be fine. If you find the kitten is still cold e.g shivering then just get a nice big towel to wrap her in with a hot water bottle but make sure there is quite a bit of towel between kitten and hot water bottle. Also just having them snug to your chest to get your heat can work well .

Hope this helps and if you need any more advice or help just shout.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
02-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #6

Just one point - baby wipes are OK, but just check the packaging as some brands contain alcohol. I am aware that some people use alcohol as a treatment for flea infestation, but whilst this may be OK for adult cats, it may have a slight adverse affect on a kitten.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #7

A few drops of Hibiscrub in warmish water would do the trick. I used that on Kizzy after she'd had an accident in the cat carrier coming home from the vet. It got rid of the smell completely. I am sure I remember pinklizzy saying it was fine for external use - it's certainly what they use at the vets I use.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #8

You shouldn't use wipes of any kind on a kitten that is still being looked after by mum. It will totally alter the kittens smell and the mother may react by rejecting or attacking it.

Warm water with a very small amount of non perfumed baby shampoo and cotton wool is all that is needed.