Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #1

What do you do about sticky eyes?

I know Posh's eyes aren't infected but the nature of her persian face is that she exudes brown tears all the time. I am always wiping her eyes but it stains her nose and face and it gets all sticky and clogs up her fur around her eyelids. I don't want to have to keep wiping it as it annoys her and maybe I'm hurting her. Are there any preparations I can use like eye drops, you can recommend?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #2

Re: What do you do about sticky eyes?

How funny you should post that; I was going to ask the same thing! My 2 persians and also Darcy do/did have runny eyes, but nothing approaching Myshka's output I wash his face twice a day with water and still he leaves little brown marks all over my white duvet covers I can't wipe them any more frequently because of (a) I'm not always around and (b) he hates it anyway.

I've bought some drops which don't really help any more than the water - I've only used them 3 times but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

So I was hoping someone (like you) might have some good suggestions

Catsey Veteran

04-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #3

So Myshka is also having these probs Yola, it's a real problem as her eyes are looking so watery, it makes me think she is having vision problems. I bought Angel Eyes for white cats and dogs today to see if it will help. It was on sale in the pet store, but its only a face wash for the eye area not for instilling into the eye. Posh's ears are also brown and waxy but I'm coping with that; she hates me doing all these delicate jobs but if she's going to be a princess... she'll have to learn to lump it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

You are right there isn't an infection it is a Persian trait. It doesn't always effect the really typy cats it can also effect the doll or open faced ones as well. I have both Ultra Persians and the more open type and have sufferers of this in both types.
Regular washing around the eye is essential because if it is left they can start to loss the fur by their nose. I tried Angel Eyes but didn't find it very good. As I show some of mine they can have no staining which can be particularly hard on a white faced cat like my Kisses. I found that bicarbonate of soda mixed into warm water very good. Just get a piece of cotton wool and from the inner corner of the eye wipe outwards along the bottom rim. Repeat this along the top rim and of course on the other eye. Make sure you use a fresh piece of cotton wool with each wipe. If there is any stubborn bits, which there will be at first, Just firmly but gentle rub a soaked and gentle rung cotton pad into any marks. It may take time before it takes effect but keep on top of it. Optrex is also very good.
That covers the cleaning. To try and stop the staining taking hold you can put a little bit of vaseline below the eye and next to the nose, becareful not to get it in the eye though. This will act as a barrier. I don't use this as it does make the coat greasy which is no good in show cats. I use Eye Envy powder. It is a powder that looks like extremely fine talc. Using a cotton bud or your finger you just put it in the fur around were the tears come out, again not in the eye. It is very good but like any special thing it is dear. You can get it online at www.eyeenvy.com. I found the eye envy solution to not be that good for the price.
As for drops to go in the eye the vet may give you antbiotics for a while but as there isn't an infection I think this is pointless. Your cat will get used the antibiotics and if you ever needed them for a real infection they may not work as good.
Hope this helped sorry it was so long.

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #5

Thanks Kay! Looks like I have my work cut out but as long as I know that what I'm doing is not causing harm , I'm up for it
Posh has such lovely blue eyes, I'd like her to show em off

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #6

As long as you keep on top of it you and Posh will be fine. The Colourpoints do have beautiful blue eyes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #7

Kay, that's wonderful advice, thank you!

I'm struggling with Myshka's eyes . . . the more I clean the dirtier they seem to get. I'm doing it twice a day . . . is that the case, that the more you wipe them the more they run? The drops don't seem to make a huge difference I have to say.

Can I ask what percentage bicarbonate of soda to water do you use?

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #8

Glad it was of help Yola.

I don't think the more you wipe the more they run. It is possible that the drops are making them run more.

Use 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda to a small cup full. If you also gently but firmly massage the inner corner of the eye and just underneath the eye it helps to empty the tear ducts of anything lurking there.
Good luck.