Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #61

Re: Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I bought a good pair of claw clippers years ago at a cat show, and did all my cats claws except Patches, who absolutely would not tolerate it, and Leia, who keeps hers in shape well enough on her tree branch scratching post.
What does she do about her hind claws?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
What does she do about her hind claws?
I have to admit I don't know, Angie! Never seen her doing them, but they're much thicker and blunter than the front ones.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
30-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #63

Well,I got my cat clippers from wilko this afternoon, they look very efficient but not had time to sit and have a go at any claws yet. Will have to be when I have time to sit patiently and relax the two elder pussies enough to get them done in one go with luck. Quite looking forward to it ! Jx

Catsey Veteran

30-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #64

Good luck, Jan! It's been my experience that older ones are more likely to dislike it; if you start them as kittens they just take it as a matter of course. My rehomed adult, Patches, went hysterical whenever I tried it. Let us know how it went.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #65

I wonder if I should try to get Kizzy used to me doing her claws. They don't seem to need doing atm - she lets me touch her paws and I've pressed gently to get the claw extended, so I think it should be OK. But maybe the clippers would be one step too far. Probably best to try while she's still a youngster. I only ever clipped Smudge's claw once - her dew claw which was curling backwards. She was as good as gold.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
31-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #66

The trick is to get them stoned!!!

Not with anything illegal but try Valerian root....
Buy dried valerian root from ebay or WWW, not liquid type!
Get some little fluffy toys or balls and seal in an air tight container with the dried root.
Leave for 7/8 days.
Open box (hold your nose it stinks!!!) And knock all the dried root from flurries and then give then to the cat...
Think of catnip only much stronger and much more severe reaction! Then they chill out/fall asleep as it is actually a sporific!!!

See if it helps and even if they don't need claws clipped they act sooooo funny! Enjoy!

Catsey Veteran

31-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #67

That's very interesting, never heard of it. I wonder if a cat who's a non-reactor to catnip would respond...... do yours like catnip?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
31-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #68

Wow - scarey stuff. Wish I had known about it years ago for Misty.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
31-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatLady
Buy dried valerian root from ebay or WWW, not liquid type!
Get some little fluffy toys or balls and seal in an air tight container with the dried root.
You can also buy Valerian capsules from Holland and Barratt, again they are dried type not liquid. They are fairly easy to break apart (Holland and Barratt recommend you can either swallow them or use them to make some sort of tea).

I do agree that they stink. Holland and Barratt also do the liquid type so make sure that they say capsules on the container.

I also agree with getting them used to it as kittens, even if they dont need clipping then definitely make a point of holding them for a while whilst holding and extending the claws, that way they dont bother. Another good thing is to get them used to checking their mouth regularly, that way you can keep an eye when they are older on their teeth (to see if they need a dental) and also for worming purposes. Also I am sure the vet will appreciate it when they need a booster!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
31-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #70

My Feline Tribe are pretty non committal with catnip but even my RigbyBigBear gets all whussey with the valerian fluffies and shimmys on them across the floor!! Bless!!!