Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
24-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #51

Re: Claws

Unfortunately it is common in the USA to have cats declawed. I am not going into too much of a political debate here, but generally people in the USA have a much different point of view. Debarking of dogs and cutting of horse's tail muscles in certain breeds for show purposes, is more tolerated over there than in the UK. Thankfully, all of those are illegal over here, except for when it is considered medically necessary. They also have a lot more kill shelters than in the UK.

Anyway going back to the original topic, both of mine are done, purely because they dont go outside. Pickle especially likes to sit half on people kneading and purring, and his claws are sharp. Unfortunately when he is in a bad mood he also swipes without warning, so he can hurt (in fact as I type I have 3 scratches on my hand). Also when I am listening to my ipod, he likes to grab hold of the headphones and because he is quite close, he sometimes accidently scratches me. Tigger is fine, she does not scratch very often, but again, because she is indoors only she needs them doing occasionally.

I do them myself, and I had no problem using the clippers. The only thing with Pickle is that he needs two people - because he has been unneutered for a long while he gets quite strong. Tigger can be done with just me on my own. I have had no problem doing it, and I did with my old cat (who also was indoors only).

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
25-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #52

Hello! I clip my indoor cats claws with clippers (Wilbur, Sullivan & Sasha) and you do need to be firm and also remember you are only taking the tips off...
Sulli (being a slightly stupid boy) will often wriggle like a loon especially when clipping his back feet and one day he stretched his finger like toes out just as I snipped with the clippers!!!?? Boy!! Did he squeal and blood went everywhere... however he hasn't done it since and with a little salt water wash and some fishy treats he was fine!??
Hope this helps... don't believe in paying out for stuff you can learn to do yourself.... not with 7 cats anyway!!!
I don't clip the claws of my outdoor cats as I would like to think if they ever got in a sticky situation either with other cats or a human... that they would have a first line of defence!!?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #53

I bought a good pair of claw clippers years ago at a cat show, and did all my cats claws except Patches, who absolutely would not tolerate it, and Leia, who keeps hers in shape well enough on her tree branch scratching post.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
25-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #54

I clip my oldies nails as they don't wear them down, and I've seen a couple of cat taken into the vets as the nails have grown into the pad. I would probably try all of them, except maybe Candy, but she needs to be sedated if she gets anything done.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
28-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #55

This is an interesting post to me as both Max (17) and Tess (15) s claws are rather long, they click clack on the laminate and yes, catch the furnishings, which is okay if I am around to unhook. I never even thought of cutting or filing their claws - can you recommend good clippers and how much to take off so its not too short or bleeds? I used to do my old parrot s and was terrified of making him bleed as it was easy done. All my cats are indoor cats now so I suppose its something I should get used to. Thanks,Jx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #56

This video will show you how to clip your cat's nails, Jan ......

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearc...=4&ct=title #

Catsey Senior

28-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #57

Once again you have come to my rescue tonight Mags! Thanks a lot, she makes it look very easy ! Will definately have a go at that sometime very soon. Jan x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
29-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan
I never even thought of cutting or filing their claws - can you recommend good clippers and how much to take off so its not too short or bleeds?
Like a previous poster said, the video should explain it all.

My clippers came from Wilkinsons (it was in the dog section, but the picture had both a cat and a dog in it). It was fairly cheap, I certainly paid no more than £3 for them. My other pair came from Poundland and you guessed it, it cost a £1. I dont have a nail file though.

Pets at Home sell them along with a great variety of online sites. Any decent pet shop should sell them (check in the dog aisle) and some vets may do. Price varies - Pets at Home sell them for anything between £5 and £8.

As for my two, I dont think you necessarily need the most expensive nail clipper. They both do the job equally well - though to be honest, I use the Wilkinson's one more simply because the handle is covered with some kind of rubber. If you are wearing gloves or have a tricky cat I would recommend getting one that is not a plain metal handle. This is simply because you can keep a better grip on them and therefore not liable to accidently cut the quick.

Catsey Senior

29-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #59

Thanking you also, I am off to Wilko tomorrow so will make a point of looking for them and if I find them then we are in business! It will certainly save the scratches on my arm from Max tapping me for more food! Jx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #60

One reason I don't have to clip Leia's claws, besides the fact that she uses the scratching tree regularly, is that she gives herself a manicure...or should that be a paw-icure? She was doing it this afternoon: holding up her paw and then carefully pulling on each claw with her teeth to remove the loose claw sheath, which she spat out if there was a loose one!