Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #31

Re: Claws

I nip the very ends off Tizzie's as I don't think I've seen her clawing or 'sharpening' her claws for years. She goes out for a nice stroll but no clawing the trees etc.
If I forget and leave it too long one or two of her claws overgrow so much they can go round and touch her pad and there are layers and layers of shed nails that come away once there is room........................so i mustn't leave it too long.
She is a tortie and quite shy - although very cuddley etc now. She was a little bit shy when I first got her (animal shelter). Isn't there a theory that tortoiseshell are often a little timid? Don't know if it is true - might be just that they are all girls (and therefore sweet and shy etc)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #32

I cant ever see mine letting me clip their nails!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mog
10-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #33

Im a bit confused as to why cut a cats nails..... never had to cut cats claws ni my life except once i did try it (as a kid) and found that when the point was removed, the whole nail started to flake away either side, right down to the quick, which the cat did not appreciate at al.

I cut the dogs claws but they are different, non retractile claws that contact the ground - they do need clipping sometimes - but then clipping them doesnt make them flake each side...

Doesnt anyone else see this flaking thing? or was my cat just a bit odd (entirely possible)

Em

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis-Equus
Im a bit confused as to why cut a cats nails..... never had to cut cats claws ni my life except once i did try it (as a kid) and found that when the point was removed, the whole nail started to flake away either side, right down to the quick, which the cat did not appreciate at al.

I cut the dogs claws but they are different, non retractile claws that contact the ground - they do need clipping sometimes - but then clipping them doesnt make them flake each side...

Doesnt anyone else see this flaking thing? or was my cat just a bit odd (entirely possible)

Em
I agree.
I've never cut a cats nails either. Can't see the benefit myself. Dogs yes.
I have seen flaking nails in some of the rescue cats occasionally, but not through cutting their nails. I'm not sure what causes it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #35

here's a thread from over a year ago which explains why I snip. It's an old age thing with me (or the cats! )
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...ws+-retracting

Perhaps you haven't had experience with poorly retracting oldies? You would know why they need to lose the ends of their claws when they become entangled at every move. Poor things - no fun for the cats or their people.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbies (Gordon & Ramsay)
10-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #36

Gordon and Ramsay are both so placid. They just sit and let me do them with nail clippers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
10-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #37

I use proper claw-cutters that cut with a rounded blade, not straight clippers, to avoid the flaking. I cut the very tips of Rovers claws because his claws can be very sharp and I don't like bleeding scratches when he mis-times or misjudges his playing. He's *very* good about not using claws, but the odd one goes astray when he doesn't realise in time that it's me, not a toy.
I started cutting his claws when he was asleep on my lap. No holding necessary.

The cat that disliked having her claws cut the most, I would cut one or two when she was in a relaxed mood - tail-twitch meant stop. Do another one or two another day.
She was an outdoor cat and needed to do some climbing to stay out of trouble and so needed to have most of her claws left - that worked out well for both of us.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbies (Gordon & Ramsay)
10-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #38

Doesn't take too long to do Gordon as he only has 3 legs.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
10-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #39

I never used to cut claws till I got Snowy - she was an oldie who wouldn't use a scratch post and rarely went out, and 2 of her claws actually grew over and dug in her pad before I noticed, so I am extra vigilant now. Every cat that comes in here gets its claws clipped, esp if they are extra sharp. I have cut claws on other people's cats who said they couldn't do it themselves!! Molly is the only tricky one as she only likes being handled on her terms, so wait till she is asleep near me to do hers. I bought a really naff pair of clippers from Wilkinsons, so now use human cuticle clippers as they are the closest I could find to what the vet use.
Also, I was being lazy the other month and got the vet nurse to do PEbbles claws even though I can do them myself, and was charged about £8 for it!! So I am glad I can do them myself, as I never used to need to do Gingers, but his have recently started being an issue (well, he will be 15 this year)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Moggie
21-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #40

I use a nail file I dont do to much and oscar seems to enjoy it now lol i do it every 2 weeks just file abit of each