Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

A busy start to the week.

We are starting to feel like we are catching up on things and we are moving forward again after a long and hard winter.

On Monday our friendly vet came on her half day and vaccinated all 12 rabbits for myxomatosis. They get done 6 monthly so it is great that we don't have to transport all in twice a year.

The sheep also got sheared on Monday- I was really worried about how bad they would look, after such a hard winter- although they got extra feeds, ad lib hay and were taken in at night. The shearer said they were in really good condition and was surprised they were all still with us ( we have at least 3 who are 13 and the youngest is eight). They don't look too bad at all- Doris had a touch of flystrike- and had a good scratch after it was all over. They are due to get their feet trimmed this weekend, which was bad planning because there is nothing to hold onto now!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
16-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #2

Re: A busy start to the week.

wow Farthing... great that the vet comes for the bunnies... its a big enough chore having to take two cats to the vet let alone the thought of a dozen bunnies...
What do you do with the wool from your sheep?.. as for your shearer being surprised at how good your sheep are... im not surprised at all....knowing how you look after your animals...im just amazed at how you keep track of them all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Re: A busy start to the week.

The shearer takes the wool away and gives it to somebody who can use it. Whether it is really worth anything because as the sheep age the wool is less good and we have a fair mix (an ancient herdwick with very coarse wool to a shetland with good wool.)
I am lucky that I work in the vets and send out the booster reminders, so I know when mine are due, its also very handy for checking who needs a blood test etc next.