Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
10-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #1

important vet visit friday

i'm going to the vet anyway to get cuddles' thyroid levels checked but i'm bringing tigger along.

his breathing is worse and he is intermittently gaping with his mouth to breathe. sometimes he goes a few seconds without breathing and wakes up gasping

i'm going to see two options. if they can do something like drain the swelling or give some kind of medication to make him comfortable at this stage then i'm all for keeping on as he still purrs, cuddles, and head butts...i'm so torn apart because there are moments where his eyes glaze over or he wakes up and meows like he is confused where he is...then he's totally himself again..i know that's not good but i don't know if it's only because of the fluid in the tumor..they took blood out last time which helped alot but i'm not sure if it's beyond that?

if they can't do anything for him, i am going to help him cross the bridge. i think i will feel that for sure it's time if he has to go on struggling like that for breath and i won't have doubts or guilt. if that's the case, i won't hesitate to put him at peace, even if it breaks my heart it would be what to do if i truly loved him and i do.

so..we could go home and have him for awhile longer in good spirits...or i could go home with an empty carrier.

either way, any support would make me feel better. i just need to talk.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #2

Re: important vet visit friday

Tink I'm so sorry to hear about tigger

Even though it hurts so much, it seems in your heart you do know what's best and you only have Tigger's well-being and happiness in mind. It's best to see what the vet says, but whatever decision you make, you know you've given him an amazing life and in his moments of clarity he's still a very happy, content and loved cat.

It's not easy, but I do hope it goes ok.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #3

So sorry to hear Tigger hasn't been well Tink..

It's going to be a difficult vet visit for you, have a good talk with the vet......write some questions down beforehand that you may otherwise forget at the time, hopefully your vet will be completely honest with you and tell you if Tigger is in any discomfort. You are a sensible person Tink and I know whatever decision you come to will be for what's best and kindest for Tigger.

You were extremely brave and kind taking on two ailing 17 year old cats, you have given them both 4 months of love, care and cuddles....... you have done your very best for them and I know you will do the best for them when the time comes.

Stay strong Tink ((((hugs)))) .......... comforting vibes to both Tigger and Cuddles xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

Tink I'm sure you will do what is best for Tigger, may you have peace of mind soon. Thinking of you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #5

I know that you'll do what's right for Tigger. Be brave Tink and may the Great Cat bless you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #6

Oh Tink! How hard for you, but I know you'll do what's necessary if it comes to that, hard as it is, it's the last gift you can give him. And the last months with you have must been like heaven to him, bless the dear old boy. Sending prayers and hopeful vibes that the time isn't yet...(((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
10-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #7

thank you all for your kind words. the appointment will be at 4:30pm tomorrow (US pacific time) so i will update as soon as i can.
my OH is on vacation which may make it easier but as i'm solely tigger's caretaker in this house he only sees him for a minute or two in passing or spends five minutes petting him the most which is fine because he's not often home but he keeps saying "he looks fine to me" and i swear when he does see tigger he's always having a "good moment". so now i feel like he doesn't realize that it may be serious and i feel doubts and wonder if he even believes me.
either way, we will both be present as if there is treatment that is possible i want him there to know about the financial responsibilities. if tigger is really suffering, at least my OH will hear it from the horse's mouth and i will feel like i'm not going through this alone or the burden of the decision is not only on me.
i feel somewhat numb right now which i suppose is normal. we'll see how i actually feel tomorrow morning when i realize that the appt. will be soon.
anyway, thanks everyone. i just needed to talk..i'm not sure what i'm looking for but i just know i needed to talk to friends.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
10-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #8

Tink please dont worry
My boyfriend does the same thing. It has a name but at the moment it evades me. He goes to sleep snores, holds his breath and I panic. He wakes up gives a gasp and his eyes look all glazed. I think it could be the same thing. By the way my boyfriend id 52!! lol so there is hope yet.
Will be thinking about you. Please let us know how you get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #9

Thinking of you today Tink xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #10

Yes, I've been thinking about you too today Tink and Tigger. xx