Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
27-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #1

Amputation

Hello folks. my first post, and not a pleasant one: my cat was diagnosed with cancer in her front leg today. The only treatment possible is an amputation.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How did recovery go and what degree of quality of life was the cat left with?

Thanks,
Sandy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #2

Re: Amputation

Sandy, so sorry to hear your bad news...one of the members here hass gone through this, and am sure she'll share her experience with you...they do adapt amazingly well.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #3

Hello Sandy, welcome to Catsey!

So sorry to hear the sad news about your cat One of our members had to have one of her cat's legs amputated a couple of months ago. I'm sure when she is next online she will tell you more about it.......it did adapt very well to coping with three legs though.

Catsey Junior

27-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #4

Thanks dandysmom and mags. That would be a great help, I do hope she responds this week (I have to decide pretty soon).

The trouble is, it's her front leg, which is much worse than the back legs as far as movement goes.

It's a dreadful decision, I want to do right by her, not keep her alive for my own gratification. She deserves a chance, if it's going to be worthwhile, after 13 years of love and friendship - but you know all this stuff, eh?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #5

So sorry to hear this Sandy, but I have seen on other cat forums as well as this one, that cats adjust amazing well. If it was me I would give her a chance.

Emma x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #6

Sandy, the member who has gone through this is Booktigger and she comes on here most days, hopefully she will be here in the next day or so.

It must be so difficult for you to make such a decision, we all send you our best wishes for her and know that you will do what you think is best for her.

Please keep us updated how things go......and give her a cuddle from me

Catsey Junior

27-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #7

Bless you, Mags. I'm all teared up this evening.

She's been such a good friend all these years, the gentlest and most devoted of all the cats I've had. We are two old ladies growing old together.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #8

Sandy, this is a caring place, I know I can speak for others that we know the sorrow and indeision you must be going through...it's not easy. Your girl is only 13, she has many years ahead, hopefuly, and as everyone has said, they do cope amzingly...(((hugs))) to you both, and let us know what you decide. We do care.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #9

Hi Sandy, welcome to Catsey.....So sorry to hear about your cat....as others have said, booktiggers cat has been through the op, and is doing well, sure your cat will be the same...Please keep us updated..thoughts and hugs with you... x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
27-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #10

hi Sandy, welcome to Catsey. I'm sorry for the difficult situation which you find yourself in. I hope you come to a decision which you feel is best for you and your cat. I'm sure she would cope brilliantly with 3 legs, I've seen many that have. Fel free to come on here at any time if you need to sound off or need someone to talk to, we're a very caring bunch on here. (((hugs)))