Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #1

Boys or girls

I'm sure this has been done to death on here but I'm curious as to people's opinions on it! What's best boy cats or girl cats? Princes or Princesses?

I know they all have different natures, I'm just interested in what you all think. I currently have a ragdoll mix, she's a little girl and is so playful and loving, and in just over a week we get two new ragdolls as I get to welcome a brother and sister duo into our home! Wonder if I'll see a big difference with the little boy...

Can't wait to see how they all interact and how they develop and play.

Looking forward to your views and your chat xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2

Re: Boys or girls

My own personal preference is for male cats I've had 4:1 male/female. My old girlie, Fifi, who we lost back in May was the most adorable darling, but somehow I've always bonded easier and quicker with the boy cats we've had/have. But that's just me . . .

You already have a female cat dont you? Maybe someone can advise regarding the relative ease of introducing younger males or females to an existing female?

Catsey Junior

07-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Yeah that would be helpful. I've been reading up about scent swapping and bringing the new kittens home and keeping them in one room for a few days etc. Would be great if anyone has any hands on experience or advice.

Our original plan was to get another female kitten then when we saw the brother sister combo we decided on both. They were inseparable, playing together, sleeping together and I felt I couldn't separate them!

Our current cat (well kitten, she's 9 month) Is a real sweetheart, she's a crazy kitty with bags of personality and a keen eye for any available warm lap! She already shares her home with a golden retriever and our house is big so I'm not anticipating too many problems BUT that said I'm not naive enough to assume it will all be plain sailing.

X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

I have always had boys, find them really affectionate...The only time I had a girl was a foster kitten, and she had cattitude big time!

Catsey Junior

07-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

Aw really, your opinion seems to be the majority as most people I've spoken to seem to say girls can be more aloof and independent where as boys seem to more cuddly and loving x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
07-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

i have 1 of each. my male cat harris is the most dominant but i think thats because he was here first before we introduced my girl skye. Harris is alot more outgoing and a tad hyper, skye is very affectionate but also timid with new people. both are rescue cats aswell

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

I would have agreed about male cats being more affectionate until Kizzy arrived. She is a rescue and has been with me for just over 3 years now, and is approx 5 years old. She is the most cuddly and affectionate cat I've had (only 4 in total, so not many) but she is very shy of other people and they think she's aloof but she and I just love each other!

Kizzy had been with us for about 4 months when we bought Pip, aged 9 weeks boy kitten home. They didn't bond immediately but there were no fights. Pip is now 3 years old and they do have the occasional spat, but generally get along very well. They do occasionally sleep together and groom each other - actually Pip is more likely to groom Kizzy than the other way round. Best thing we did as it really helped Kizzy come out of herself and she learned how to play.

Good luck with your introductions - when are your kittens arriving?

Catsey Junior

08-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #8

They arrive home on the 18th July. I'm counting sleeps like a child at Christmas! Going to order a couple of cat trees and some new toys. It's so exciting preparing for arrivals x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #9

We have two boys and three girls, find the girls softer and more gentle whilst the boys can be more fiesty. I don't think ay are more affectionate unless am in bed then theythey like to cuddle up. The three girls are not fussed with being lifted, they will tolerate it for a very short while. Tim will tolerate it longer and our kitten is just a kitten yet. They are just all their own wee individual selves x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #10

My two are both female and I cann't form any real opinion, because ive only had these two female cats. But they are both, in their different ways, very very affectionate. Joy sits up besides me and wants her tummy cuddled and stroked and Beau keeps brushing up against me waiting for her stroke along her back and around her neck. Beau will disapear in the house, but always comes down to make sure someone is around to stroke her. Joy just keeps around and makes sure she is by one of us all the time, so if we move upstairs it's never long before we are joined by one or both!! We had a choice when we bought them to have one of each or two girls, and decided on the two girls and I am sure that was the best choice !