Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #1

Is he microchipped?
Is he wearing ID on a collar?
Is he neutered?

Here are some ideas to help you find your lost cat

* * Do some flyers / posters & distribute locally.

* * Register the cat lost at all vets / catteries / rescue homes

* * Leave food out and a toy

* * Ask the local radio station to announce your cat is missing and give out a contact number

* * Put an advert in the local paper

* * Put an advert in your local shop

* * contact the local council as they should keep a register of all cats that have died in road accidents

Finally have a look at these sites -

http://www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

[/size]http://www.mymoggy.com/

http://www.amissingpet.co.uk/

http://animalsearchuk.com/home.htm

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

Cats owned: N/A
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #2

Re: If you've lost your cat...

Another thing I was told which isn't on that list is to ask anyone while out walking if they have seen your cat. This is actually how I found my cat, or at least which road to look in. He was actually at the RSPCA centre,but had been picked up in that road and a lady who lived in that road had reported him. Which was just five minutes from where we live. Unfortuately, he died in October, but I am so glad we managed to get him back and look after him.

Another thing is to get your cat microchipped. It isn't as costly as you think and had we done this we would have had him back quicker.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
24-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
Another thing is to get your cat microchipped. It isn't as costly as you think and had we done this we would have had him back quicker.
I agree. In fact Cats Protection have been trying to get Early Day Motion (no. 2079) passed through Parliament, which would require all councils to scan all dead cats for a microchip. If a microchip is found, then they can contact you. At least you can make your own options what to do (burial, individual cremation etc) rather than leaving it at the council's hands.

At present, it is up to individual councils - some routinely scan, others do not. But if you live in the ones that do scan, at least it does increase the chances of having your cat back or least knowing what happens to him.

Another thing is that there is a legal requirement to keep all cats who are classified as strays for 10 days (though most charities keep them for 14) in case an owner turns up. If for example you are away on holiday (especially if you are relying on a neighbour to look after your cat who may not be quite so knowledgeable), and the deadline passes, then legally they can be rehomed. At least with a microchip that requirement is extended to 28 days, therefore increasing the time it can be returned.

Also, an important thing is to make sure you keep your details up to date. Even if two years after your cat is missing you move, amend the details, as it has been known for cats to turn up even 5 years later!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
24-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcspik
I agree. In fact Cats Protection have been trying to get Early Day Motion (no. 2079) passed through Parliament, which would require all councils to scan all dead cats for a microchip. If a microchip is found, then they can contact you. At least you can make your own options what to do (burial, individual cremation etc) rather than leaving it at the council's hands.

At present, it is up to individual councils - some routinely scan, others do not. But if you live in the ones that do scan, at least it does increase the chances of having your cat back or least knowing what happens to him.

Another thing is that there is a legal requirement to keep all cats who are classified as strays for 10 days (though most charities keep them for 14) in case an owner turns up. If for example you are away on holiday (especially if you are relying on a neighbour to look after your cat who may not be quite so knowledgeable), and the deadline passes, then legally they can be rehomed. At least with a microchip that requirement is extended to 28 days, therefore increasing the time it can be returned.

Also, an important thing is to make sure you keep your details up to date. Even if two years after your cat is missing you move, amend the details, as it has been known for cats to turn up even 5 years later!
Excellent post. My local CP branch have been working with our local council over the past few months. We ahve already had 3 cases of microchipped cats that the owners would not have known about. CP gave the council a scanner, they scan all the dead cats & e-mail me the M/C number if they have one. I then trace the owner details & contact the owner... Not nice however, all 3 people have been very grateful for us taking the time to find out who they are & let them know the bad news.