Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #11

Re: Cats Best litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
It is interesting... I did get a bag of the stuff, as I'd tried Cloud out with another kind of clumping litter she seemed to do OK with. She instantly refused to use the trays - I think she doesn't like the texture of the litter in it's clean form - which surprises me as she happily uses wood pellets... Oh well then, back to the drawing board!
Odd you mention that, our two do
Use it but prefer the litter with PURA in it, that i think is due to the fact it is fine sand type texture - very soft on wee furry feet

Have you tried the clay type - i find it dreadful to work with. & so dusty!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #12

Do any of you use perfumed litter? Carolyn sent a bag of what she'd been using for Leia, and it smells so strongly I can't use it ...!!!!! I have never used anything but unscented non-clumping clay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
04-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #13

I've not tried actual clay, no... The first clumping I tried her on was the 'babypowder' one that Zoo Plus sell... You kan either buy 15KG (2 bags a time) or 7KG. Naturally 15KG is by far better price wise - but that means buying 30KG of the stuff a time - and I just cant lift it. Twice now the delivery person has left with a neighbour and he's had to bring it up to me on a trolley thing in the evening - where I get him to put it in the front door, open the box and carry the 2 bags up stairs one at a time. Just not practical...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
04-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Do any of you use perfumed litter? Carolyn sent a bag of what she'd been using for Leia, and it smells so strongly I can't use it ...!!!!! I have never used anything but unscented non-clumping clay.
Really canna' abide anything scented, Leia obviously doesn't mind. Don't think she'll be at all fussed to go back to her old unscented, non clumping, though.

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #15

She IS back on it! I had half a bag here when Carolyn picked Leia up; she just took the food, left the litter.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #16

Thanks Elaine for posting that interesting link which encouraged me to see if I could find out whether my local sewerage company publishes any details of their treatment process - but, unfortunately have come up with nothing. In our area we have separate water and sewage companies. I wonder how widely these service companies publish details of what processes they do use? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried to find out. I'm going to send them an email and see what happens!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #17

PURA is scented - Lavender. I liked it at one time, now just find it over powering esp when they poo! Im just using the bag up. Cats like it as its soft fine sand texture.

Its cheaper Squirrel to buy those big bags but like you i find it very difficult to move them about much less get them in & out of the car

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #18

Both of the local supermatkets used to carry 10 lb. bags; now the smallest available is 20 lbs., which is too heavy for me to lift. I leave it on the porch and scoop about 5 lbs.worth at a time to carry to the kitchen till it's finished. Don't the makers realize there are older people or those not in good health that cannot lift a 20 lb. bag? Nothing to do with my op, couldn't lift that much long before it .... excuse the rant. this is a pet peeve of mine! Bah!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #19

It is a real problem... And I like to buy big bags of the stuff, cause it is better price wise. I like PAH delivery system - cause if I buy wood pellets from there, the delivery man wil leave the big bags on the door step for me if am out - and they not too heavy for shifting, but cumbersome enougn that they not too likely to 'walk...'

And I couldn't buy anything scented lavender - not for day to day use anyway. It's not come up yet, as she hasn't visited me since I got the cat, but I've a friend with epilepsy, and lavender is one of the things which sets her off, so I tend to avoid it as a rule...

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #20

The larger size is more economical. I agree, but a nuisance when you cannot lift it! I'd rather pay a bit more for a 5 lb. bag ... one cat doesn't use that much litter.